PDA

View Full Version : Whimbrel

Dorian Anderson
08-12-2021, 12:38 AM
I haven't touched the shutter since June 11th -- and I'm contemplating my next move after selling my DX2 -- but here's a held-over Whimbrel from April.
I was initially put off by the small amount of motion blur on the bill tip but have since come around to appreciate the action it suggests, especially with this
rest of the bird entirely frozen. Background is a distantly breaking wave.

Here's some other stuff (i.e. bike-birding) that I've been up to during the summed photo doldrums. It's pretty epic - http://thespeckledhatchback.blogspot.com/

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II +1.4x III on EOS 1DX2
1/3200 at f/5.6, ISO 1250
Processed in LR CC without trickery beyond cloning one small irregularity on water to left/behind subject.

Cheers!

Colin Driscoll
08-12-2021, 02:51 AM
A Dorian classic, the hanging mud, foot on the way down, soft light and smooth BG. The grey band is in the right place not to be distracting.
As for the bit of movement at the bill tip, too much else to appreciate to even notice. The whole image is motion in still life!
Love your blog, epic indeed.

David Roach
08-12-2021, 02:55 AM
Your usual exceptional POV, beautiful smooth FG/BG. The water action and especially that foot just about to hit take this way over the top for me. TFS

Brian Sump
08-12-2021, 11:41 AM
Dorian, I actually recently went back to revisit your prior two Whimbrels. The whole set is amazing and this one is no exception.

The point of view is exceptional. The etherial feel is awesome and the action, with the water flip is so nice. All of this overshadows a slight bit of motion blur at the bill.

Tonality rocks and detail is great. How bout that bubble on the right leg!?

Well done man. Curious to see where you end up on gear but I don't think it really matters, honestly.

kevin Hice
08-12-2021, 04:04 PM
Dorian not much to say. I love it and those blues Such a peaceful mystic look. Dorian had no idea about the Speckled Hatchback just looked it up. Fantastic Should have contacted me when you went through Nd, next time. TFS

John Mack
08-12-2021, 05:17 PM
Great low angle. Of course I wouldn't expect anything less from you. The trailing water off the bill is great. Nice frame all around.

Jay Ing
08-12-2021, 11:11 PM
Just love the POV Dorian. Bkg is killer too. Haven't looked at the other images on your site but certainly will. TFS.

dankearl
08-14-2021, 03:36 PM
Very well done. Your classic low in the Mud angle...