PDA

View Full Version : Great Blue Heron Having Caught A Rabbit.

Daniel Cadieux
08-09-2021, 09:00 AM
I couldn't believe my eyes when I turned the corner and saw this happening in the reeds! At first I had an obstructed view of the scene, so I had to back up and find a window between reeds for a good view. Boy was I hoping hard that it stayed there in that pose....it did!! I also learned that rabbits are NOT silent - when distressed they emit a gut-wrenching sound that added eerily to the scene. The young Eastern Cottontail never stood a chance.

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/125s., f/5.6, ISO 1600, FF, handheld, toned down the brighter highlights in the BG, reduced a heavy green cast in some areas.

Jonathan Ashton
08-09-2021, 10:24 AM
Oh boy that is a winner! Super shot I like the colours, poor little bunny.
I think I would be tempted to lift the darker tones a little, just to see the effect.

In UK rabbits can be heard screaming when they know stoats are about.

Colin Driscoll
08-10-2021, 02:10 AM
Just astonishing. Amazing that you were able to find such a clear shooting opening.

David Roach
08-10-2021, 09:18 AM
Very cool get... I witnessed one catch and eat a marsh rabbit many years ago. Remember thinking "how is this going to go down the hatch". Shook it to death or till stunned, repositioned and down it went. Ok, 1/125 and FF and they both look like they are posing for you... Simply Amazing... TFS

Dorian Anderson
08-12-2021, 12:32 AM
Contest entry, for sure! I've seen them eat all sorts of animals but NEVER a rabbit. So that alone is worth a lot here. I like the close view; it's clear the rabbit know's it's totally F'd. Nice intense look on the heron's face as well. An unforgettable frame....

John Mack
08-13-2021, 05:15 PM
Boy, what a moment for sure. I photographed a fox catching a rabbit once and it was very loud. I was suprised. Detail looks great. The vertical framing is spot on.

Randy Stout
08-15-2021, 09:25 AM
Daniel:

Amazing capture. Sad, but amazing. Kudos for backing up!

I might soften the arching blade going behind the heron's head, but outstanding as is.

Cheers

Randy