PDA

View Full Version : Coming Mama...

David Roach
08-06-2021, 06:05 AM
EOS R6 RF 100-500 RF 1.4xtc @700 f10 1/1600 ISO 20000 HH, Manual EXP, small crop from horizontal for composition

With Steve' input on previous post, did find one burst where one of the fuzzballs was closer. As I staked out the spot they like to come onto shore and was already down and in position, the parents allowed them to go on shore with older siblings. Soon as Mom came out of the high grass and saw me, she called for them to return "immediately" to safety of the water and high grass. This one ran close down the bank while answering mom's call and watching me. Same noise processing of bumped up a notch or two from the default I have set in DPP on noise settings by eye and one round of NI on the BG. With no bright water in this one, left the EXP as is from out of camera in regards to shadows and highlights. Added three points of black to neutrals.

Thanks as always for all very valued help on previous posts.

Jonathan Ashton
08-06-2021, 09:18 AM
I like the pose and the call. My impression is that the image is overexposed, lots of the grasses for example are almost white. I am not familiar with the camera you are using but I think in circumstances like this I would start at +1/3 stop, if necessary try +2/3 stop to 1.0, you would not overexpose the moorhen chick and maybe around the borderline for the grasses, then I would process the image for the grasses and the chick separately, you could make two raw versions and blend them in PSCC.

Steve Kaluski
08-06-2021, 10:26 AM
you could make two raw versions and blend them in PSCC.

I think you mean Smart Objects Jon, or Export, duplicate and make it a Smart Object copy and go back to Lr or ACR?

Jonathan Ashton
08-06-2021, 11:28 AM
I think you mean Smart Objects Jon, or Export, duplicate and make it a Smart Object copy and go back to Lr or ACR?

Yes by default my raw files are exported as Smart Objects.

William Dickson
08-06-2021, 02:30 PM
I really like the light coming through edges of the bird....gives a great effect...Nice that the speedy legs are in focus and that facial expression tells the story...

Will

Joseph Przybyla
08-07-2021, 08:25 AM
Hi David, I like the image. I just saw one of these at Lake Parker on a evening trim to the lake. The colors look good, good detail, nice background. I might try to level the grass line, the bird appears to be running downhill. Thank you for sharing.

David Roach
08-07-2021, 10:40 AM
Hi David, I like the image. I just saw one of these at Lake Parker on a evening trim to the lake. The colors look good, good detail, nice background. I might try to level the grass line, the bird appears to be running downhill. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks Joe, your help always valued and appreciated. In this case the chick is running down a steep bank. Thanks again for comments.

Daniel Cadieux
08-07-2021, 03:04 PM
I like this one much more than the previous because of the dynamic pose. The open bill and raised foot (and overall walking posture) contribute to a stronger image. The NR seems better applied as well. A touch bright overall, but not overly so. Of course there had to be that one blade of grass in front of the raised leg - can't have it all eh!

gail bisson
08-07-2021, 04:21 PM
I likre this although I agree looks bit bright.
I have to echo Daniel's comments 100%.
Gail