PDA

View Full Version : Small skipper (Thymelicus sylvestris)

Jonathan Ashton
08-05-2021, 03:41 PM
Hand held image taken in the field behind my back garden, the Small skipper looks very similar to the Essex skipper which has black or very dark tips to the underside of the antennae. The Essex skipper is present in USA where it is often referred to as the European skipper.
A smidgen more DOF would not have gone amiss but I think it's OK.

Olympus E-M1 Mark III
Focal Length : 300.0mm
Focal length in 35 mm film : 601.0mm
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
ISO Sensitivity : 250
Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
Shutter : 1/250 sec
Aperture : F9

ACR/PSCC

Gabriela Plesea
08-07-2021, 07:52 AM
Superb detail Jon, well composed and presented, neat background, love the colours too :cheers:

Jonathan Ashton
08-07-2021, 02:27 PM
Superb detail Jon, well composed and presented, neat background, love the colours too :cheers:

Thanks Gabriela, in an ideal world te far wing and left antenna would have been in focus but this is not practicable without stacking and that can't be done unless the air is still or at the very least motion is lateral and not fore and aft.

Gabriela Plesea
08-07-2021, 02:58 PM
Thanks Gabriela, in an ideal world te far wing and left antenna would have been in focus but this is not practicable without stacking and that can't be done unless the air is still or at the very least motion is lateral and not fore and aft.

I gather that much, and having tried a bit of Macro every now and then I do realise how difficult it can be to get so many elements in focus! So I like this as presented, Jon. Love the sharp eye and that tightly coiled proboscis, as well as those fine little hairs/fuzz :w3 Such a delicate little creature!

John Mack
08-12-2021, 04:12 PM
The colors go great together. That green,purple and orange. I like the framing.