View Full Version : Red Grouse

William Dickson
08-05-2021, 10:43 AM
Canon 1DX Mk2
f/4 400mm DO Mk2 at 800mm
f/8
1/1000
ISO 640

The Grouse numbers are way down this year, probably due to the severe weather we had during late Spring....I did manage to find this bird.....Although deep in habitat, I liked the feel of the natural surroundings..

Will

David Roach
08-05-2021, 12:19 PM
Man, I really love the bird in environment feel of this canvas. Very natural image. TFS

Joseph Przybyla
08-05-2021, 01:02 PM
So do I like the natural surroundings. Lovely color palette and complimentary background. Thank you for sharing, Will.

Brian Sump
08-05-2021, 03:54 PM
Will, sweet man. I recall my fondness of some of your other Red Grouse frames which were also so well done.

Great shot in the native grasses you got. A touch more rotation around for light angle would have been ideal but you still did well here.

The pose is great and nice eye contact. I believe the frame could benefit from utilizing the lower end of the histogram as I don't think you benefitted from the full tonal range. Doing so might bring a little clarity and punch to it. The brights might could use a touch of taming too.

A nice one overall, tfs!

Daniel Cadieux
08-05-2021, 07:50 PM
I love the richness of the browns, golds, and reds here. The "wispy" oof texture above the bird's back and tail is excellent. Super surroundings too. I'd be OK with a touch more saturation, but I dig it as is too.

William Dickson
08-06-2021, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the comments....much appreciated.

Will

William Dickson
08-06-2021, 01:52 PM
Will, sweet man. I recall my fondness of some of your other Red Grouse frames which were also so well done.

Great shot in the native grasses you got. A touch more rotation around for light angle would have been ideal but you still did well here.

The pose is great and nice eye contact. I believe the frame could benefit from utilizing the lower end of the histogram as I don't think you benefitted from the full tonal range. Doing so might bring a little clarity and punch to it. The brights might could use a touch of taming too.

A nice one overall, tfs!

I'll have a look at the tones Brian...thanks for the comments, much appreciated..

Will