PDA

View Full Version : Common Loon and Chick.

Daniel Cadieux
07-31-2021, 08:44 AM
This was my forst time photographing a Common Loon family, and what a thrill it was as this species was my "spark" bird as a young boy. Anyhow, it was a great productive morning on a friend's boat, with lots of good files to bring back home.

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1600s., f/5.6, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, small crop to help the comp, a few offending specks removed rom the water.

Brian Sump
07-31-2021, 01:34 PM
This is sweet Daniel. Anytime you can ring in the kids there's lots of potential and you grabbed a nice moment.

Nice getting both in the plane. Super sweet light and their red eyes are so cool.

First impression was this would be better suited for pano, however I totally like that you left in the orange and magenta hues at top. Would have been nice to have avoided the bubbles at left and the one at right, but the moment wins. TFS!

Arthur Morris
07-31-2021, 04:51 PM
Very sweet indeed, and yes, getting both eyes on the same plane was a huge plus. I would not mind a bit off the left to bring it to true 3X2; it looks to be a bit of a pano crop.

with love, artie

Daniel Cadieux
08-01-2021, 06:07 AM
Thank guys! This one is a true 3:2 crop:S3:

gail bisson
08-01-2021, 01:55 PM
You nailed this one Dan! Beautiful light, perfect HA's (which is so hard to get when little ones are involved) and I like the 2 X 3 crop. A true pano crop would be lovely as well.
Great catchlight in both eyes (another difficult thing to get).
Great low POV.
No nits from me.
Gail

Bill Dix
08-01-2021, 03:05 PM
Sweet light, sweet moment. Great POV and HA's. A lovely frame. Congratulations on your first Loon family.

William Dickson
08-02-2021, 12:20 PM
That's a beauty Dan....Everything just looks good together :S3:

Well done

Will

Randy Stout
08-08-2021, 07:36 AM
Daniel:

Very nicely captured, classic scene. Based on it's size, the chick is 1-2 days old, and they are so cute early on.

I would also consider a mild pano crop, but appreciate the color at the top.

I guess I need to post a loon or two as well.

Cheers

Randy