View Full Version : Theme - House Sparrow on Red Hot Poker

William Dickson
07-28-2021, 10:08 AM
Canon 1DX Mk2
f/4 400mm DO Mk2 at 560mm
f/4.5
1/3200
ISO 640

I was actually photographing Red Kites in flight(hence the settings)...when I saw this female House Sparrow land on the Red Hot Poker (aka Torch Lily), in front of me...I quickly grabbed a few shots, before she flew off...No time to change camera settings, but its not everyday you see any kind of bird on a perch like this, especially as it wasn't a set up...Although the colours on the bird are quite drab, I thought it contrasted well with the flower and the BG....HH....ACR and PS2021...

Will

Arthur Morris
07-28-2021, 06:03 PM
That is a wickedly beautiful flower and photograph. And your House Sparrows are native on your side of the pond. Sharp as can be, and the boxy crop is perfect.

Way to go!

with love, artie

Brian Sump
07-28-2021, 09:12 PM
Made this simpleton look like a king Will! Love it!

Those Firecrackers are fantastic and it brought the sparrow to life. Wonderfully sharp and full of detail and color, sweet bkg too!

Maybe take a peek at adding a touch of punch to the mids on the sparrow. Hard to nit anything here my friend, just great.

Jonathan Ashton
07-29-2021, 04:09 AM
Lovely shot Will but to me it looks a little flat, a bit more tonal expression I would suggest.

Steve Kaluski
07-29-2021, 06:27 AM
Hi Will, good spot was this close to the railing?

I'm with Jon here will, a little cooler in the BKG (adding a bit of blue to the WB?), but the flower just needs a bit more punch, not sure how much DoF you have in the reds there, but everything has the same overall light, hence why I think John is saying it's a bit flat and requires some more tonal range.

Well done though.

TFS
Steve

gail bisson
07-29-2021, 07:35 AM
What a brilliant frame of an LBJ!
Love your title.
I love the clear view of the foot as well.
Agree with adding a bit more pop via levels or curves.
I can't comment on the color of the flower as I have never seen it irl.
Lovely!
Gail

Wayne Niz
07-29-2021, 08:32 AM
Hey Will

Postcard perfect, well done great pic

Daniel Cadieux
07-31-2021, 07:45 AM
About as nice as it can get for a House Sparrow image! Beautiful all around.

William Dickson
08-02-2021, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the comments...much appreciated.

Hi Steve....yes at the railings...My lens fitted perfectly between them :S3:

Will

Gabriela Plesea
08-02-2021, 12:17 PM
Wonderful capture Will, love the framing and colours and perfect pose from the bird, lovely detail too :w3

Kind regards

William Dickson
08-02-2021, 12:31 PM
Thanks Gabriela....much appreciated....

Will