PDA

View Full Version : Tickle me...

dankearl
07-25-2021, 11:33 PM
I spent 3 weeks getting up at 5:30am in early June to document a nesting pair of Northern flickers at an eye level nest who got very use to me and a friend and
allowed us to photo them at very close distance without a blind.
Here is a nice moment...
D500, 300mm, f4, 1/2500, iso2000
PP in Capture one, Affinity photo.
tic-1600 2.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=191530&stc=1&d=1627273881)

Jonathan Ashton
07-26-2021, 03:06 PM
As you say a nice moment indeed. I think the image would be a little easier on the eye if you toned down the 3-6 highlights, not that they are overexposed but the dry wood on the tree and the rump feathers appear bright when areas of the background are so dark.

Wayne Niz
07-27-2021, 02:20 PM
Hey Dan

What a great scene to capture well done mate. For my untrained eye all the components are there but the PP seems to be letting you down IMHO

dankearl
07-27-2021, 02:31 PM
Thanks Wayne, I have no idea what you are talking about..... it is sharp, well exposed, not noisy for iso2000 on a D500. There is plenty of detail, what exactly is wrong with the PP???
I keep getting told this but this photo looks fine to me.
These are extremely difficult photos to get, all of the feeding and behavior happens in split seconds...
If you have a specific thing you think is "not there", let me know.
I do appreciate critiques but I honestly think this is a good photo of a difficult subject.
Apparently you and others here don't, I don't know how to respond anymore to this kind of critique.
A lot of people have stopped posting and commenting, this may have something to do with it...

Jay Ing
07-27-2021, 07:38 PM
I like the photo (nice action... nice title), like the detail and tone. TFS. Keep posting... of course.

Wayne Niz
07-28-2021, 01:49 AM
Thanks Wayne, I have no idea what you are talking about..... it is sharp, well exposed, not noisy for iso2000 on a D500. There is plenty of detail, what exactly is wrong with the PP???
I keep getting told this but this photo looks fine to me.
These are extremely difficult photos to get, all of the feeding and behavior happens in split seconds...
If you have a specific thing you think is "not there", let me know.
I do appreciate critiques but I honestly think this is a good photo of a difficult subject.
Apparently you and others here don't, I don't know how to respond anymore to this kind of critique.
A lot of people have stopped posting and commenting, this may have something to do with it...

Hey Dan

I absolutely concur with your view that it is a good photo of a difficult subject and I said as much in my comment, all i'm saying is that I think it could be even better than what you have presented. I commented honestly with aim of adding value not to be seen to be negative and I apologize if this is how you have taken it. I believe this to be true of all those on this forum, some are able to be more specific with support of their critique, I unfortunately do not have that knowledge I wish I had so I could tell you exactly what I am seeing that can be corrected, Jonathan gave an option maybe you should try that. You shoot a lot of great pics and always of interesting subjects and you are an asset to this forum for it.

Cheers

John Mack
07-28-2021, 08:14 AM
Love the title and the image. Nice one.

gail bisson
07-28-2021, 08:27 AM
What a wonderful opportunity you had with this nest.
Very nice interaction.
The chick looks a bit crunchy to my eye- did you sharpen him separately?
He is perhaps a bit out of the DOF at F4.
The NR is quite aggressive on the BG, just too smooth for my taste.
I think that what Wayne was trying to say is that the image feels a bit overprocessed.
That is what I am seeing,
Gail