PDA

View Full Version : Another 'dreich' day in the UK

Steve Kaluski
07-23-2021, 04:12 AM
A rather ironic title, considering the sweltering temperatures we are current experiencing over here in the UK, but I hope Will, will appreciate the title. A tad more DoF perhaps, but I doidn't want to loose the rain, I just find above f/5.6 they can get swallowed up into the BKG.

Jon A, the ID I think this is a female Chaffinch or even a juvenile, but can you confirm, I'm hopeless on names, apart from the Robin!:bg3:

Thanks to those who commented or viewed the last posting

Steve

Subject: Chaffinch (f) (Fringilla coelebs)
Camera: Canon EOS-1D X Mark III
Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III
Exposure: 1/800s at f/6.3 ISO4000 EV +0.33
Original format: Landscape, very slight crop almost FF
Processed via: LRCC 9.4 & PSCC2020

Daniel Cadieux
07-23-2021, 03:53 PM
Quite similar to our goldfinches in non-breeding plumage. I like the dreary rainy-day feel. The one drop closest to the face is too close though IMO, and it could be evicted. Sharp, good comp, nice BG. The top white wingbar is very white, is there detail hidden in there somewhere? Hoping you get a bit of relief form the heat!

Jonathan Ashton
07-24-2021, 03:33 AM
Steve it is indeed a female Chaffinch, the plumage looks good , details and tones well represented, nice shot!

Stu Bowie
07-24-2021, 03:35 AM
Hi Steve, excellent angled pose captured here. You have brought out the finer plumage very well, and overall nice and sharp. A very good result for your high ISO. I'm not sure I would think of shooting in your rainy weather. :w3

Steve Kaluski
07-24-2021, 05:00 AM
Quite similar to our goldfinches in non-breeding plumage. I like the dreary rainy-day feel.

Cheers Dan, this is why 'drench' is such a good descriptive work.

The one drop closest to the face is too close though IMO, and it could be evicted.

Sorted.

The top white wingbar is very white, is there detail hidden in there somewhere?

Just a no more on the HR Tiff but here almost zero sadly.

Thanks for the pointers.

Steve Kaluski
07-24-2021, 05:01 AM
Steve it is indeed a female Chaffinch

Thanks Jon

A very good result for your high ISO. I'm not sure I would think of shooting in your rainy weather.

Stu, 4000ISO is a breeze, seriously, but yes our weather unlike yours can be challenging at times!!! :bg3:

Steve Kaluski
07-24-2021, 05:02 AM
Dan RP with a tad od saturation too.

Kurt Bowman
07-24-2021, 12:10 PM
Nice rainy image Steve. I like the perch and the rain droplets are a plus. I do like the repost better without the raindrop by the head.

Wayne Niz
07-24-2021, 12:57 PM
Hey Steve,

Lovely pic, RP is better, didn't realise how distracting the rain drop was until it was removed. Colours and BK are very easy on the eye well done nice pic

TFS

Gabriela Plesea
07-25-2021, 03:12 PM
Very nice image of this female Chafffinch, good techs, I like the perch, subject well placed within the frame and lovely pose too. The rain drops add context:w3
Well processed as expected. Lovely detail. RP has a little more punch - lovely work Steve, many thanks for sharing :S3:

Warmest regards,

Steve Kaluski
07-26-2021, 02:02 AM
Thank you Gabriela, be nice if it was a Crested Barbet. :bg3:

Gabriela Plesea
07-26-2021, 12:10 PM
Thank you Gabriela, be nice if it was a Crested Barbet. :bg3:

Had a Crested Barbet in the middle of the road on my way home, there are thousands around here...when are you coming to SA:bg3:

Steve Kaluski
07-26-2021, 12:19 PM
As soon as it’s safe to do so Gabriela, I need more stock images and will do a crash course in PP for you, but it’s a bit scary currently, I’m not sure if I can get to Switzerland in early September….!

Gabriela Plesea
07-26-2021, 01:52 PM
Next year it should be safe again to come to SA. We'll look after you. And I will take time off to show you around here:w3