PDA

View Full Version : Hoot

Eric Patdu
07-21-2021, 12:46 PM
Barred Owl from a local park.

I have the 1.4x attached to my 100-400 on this shot because the owl was initially far but then it decided to fly nearer because it probably wanted me to do justice to its photo. :bg3: The breast feathers are a little ruffled because it just came out of its nest hole. Not the cleanest background but I kind of like how it shows the bird in its natural surrounding.

Shooting Info: EOS 7D II + EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II + EF 1.4x III, @390mm, f/10, 1/250 sec, ISO 1600

Randy Stout
07-21-2021, 01:15 PM
Hi Eric:

I like the subject, ruffled feathers and all. Soft light allows nice detail on the bird. Shooting angle not bad at all, helped by longer focal length. I might try to tease a bit more details out of the shadowed left eye, some local adjustment.

Yes, busy perch. The worse offender is the large dead snag just off the right side of the bird. Partly because of the high contrast against the background.

Cheers

Randy

Wayne Niz
07-24-2021, 01:29 PM
Hey Eric,

Great capture, I love owls such animated birds. Lots of nice detail on the bird itself, but not enough light on the right eye, the BG is also quite bright and therefore distracting. Still a great bird to get a shot of well done