PDA

View Full Version : Whitethroat (Sylvia communis)

Jonathan Ashton
07-19-2021, 01:34 AM
Hand held image taken at a local reserve
Olympus : E-M1X
Focal Length : 420.0mm
Focal length in 35 mm film : 841.0mm
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
ISO Sensitivity : 800
Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
Shutter : 1/1600 sec
Aperture : F5.6

ACR/PSCC

David Roach
07-19-2021, 07:56 AM
Love the perch, love the subject and love the BG in this one. In fact the only minor improvement for me ( I know others will disagree) is more of the perch with this beauty slightly higher in the frame. Love this canvas as is though with fantastic PP on the feathers and the seed head. TFS

Jonathan Ashton
07-19-2021, 08:42 AM
Love the perch, love the subject and love the BG in this one. In fact the only minor improvement for me ( I know others will disagree) is more of the perch with this beauty slightly higher in the frame. Love this canvas as is though with fantastic PP on the feathers and the seed head. TFS

Thanks David, I did toy with the idea of making the bird higher but as Ii raised the bird the seed head got longer and significantly wider so I felt it became too dominant.

William Dickson
07-19-2021, 12:48 PM
Well captured Jon...I like the crop, these perches can become overpowering with small birds, I reckon you got the ratio spot on here...I may crop a little from the top...Nice detail on the bird, and colours look good..The detail you captured around the eye area look real good...Nice HA...I really like how the colours on the bird compliment the colours on the seed head...The green BG works....

Will

Steve Kaluski
07-19-2021, 02:17 PM
Hi Jon, going 4x5 and slightly tighter in I think works better. Because you are quite close having some more DoF to bring the leg in might also have helped. Nice HA and you know I like the Bullrush, though again, you can get some more tonal range back in, but hey... Like the way the plumage mimics the BR.

TFS
Steve

John Mack
07-20-2021, 07:50 PM
My only nit is I could see the bird higher in the frame. I do like the pose and that fluffy perch.

Eric Patdu
07-21-2021, 12:52 PM
I love the framing of this photo. You have cropped it so that the viewer can also enjoy and appreciate the perch.

Wayne Niz
07-24-2021, 01:47 PM
Hey Jonathan

Awesome BG and pose from this little bird. Perfect exposure and crisp detail. Well done