PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Whitethroat

Jonathan Ashton
07-10-2021, 05:10 AM
A common visitor to UK during spring and summer, this one was flitting from one flower head to bull rush heads in search for insects to feed to it's chicks.
Hand held
Olympus E-M1X
Focal Length : 420.0mm (300mm & MC14)
Focal length in 35 mm film : 841.0mm
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
ISO Sensitivity : 800
Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
Shutter : 1/1600 sec
Aperture : F5.6

ACR/PSCC

Steve Kaluski
07-10-2021, 07:04 AM
Hi Jon, not sure about the perch going through the head, moving to the right, if possible, might have been better. Also with the low ISO perhaps f/7.1 might have been better just to get more of the body, legs can tail off. Did you work on the head? Personally I might go for less to the LHS, pulling the crop down from the LHC and RoT's getting that eye on the lines might offer an alternative?

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
07-10-2021, 09:04 AM
Steve I have several images of this little guy on similar perches, all were taken though dense foliage so optimising an angle was difficult. I am sure you will prefer subsequent images. I liked this because it conveys to me the surroundings and the food source, I hear you regarding composition but I quite like this despite the bullrush at the back of the head. I tend to shoot at full aperture out of habit, at this angle getting the head and foot in focus at 840mm with this magnification is a bit of a tall order.

David Roach
07-10-2021, 09:43 AM
Love the bird in environment feel of this canvas. Nice and sharp where it needs to be for me and the perch is big part of the story. TFS

arash_hazeghi
07-11-2021, 03:13 AM
love the bug Jon, I'm with Steve re perch sticking out just behind the head. but that's nature also wish for a bit smoother BG (without loosing the habitat elements)

TFS

John Mack
07-20-2021, 07:26 PM
Nice and sharp. I could see the bird more to the left.