PDA

View Full Version : Say What?

Brian Sump
06-23-2021, 11:08 PM

Continuing on with the Grebes of spring is a portrait of an Eared Grebe. I've really enjoyed spending time in this preserve and have great fondness for this specimen for coming in for a close-up.

Interesting fact: The Eared Grebe are also known as Black-necked Grebe. And you probably notice how dark the feathers are on the back of the neck? And yes, there is a little shadow there but those feathers, tapering down in a v shape are noticeably darker than the rest of the neck and head.

Also interesting, the feathers on this species vary greatly in coarseness. I removed most of the sharpening on the cheek and it still has a grainy appearance. I know some won't like the tight portrait but... if nothing else we get some fun details. The top and bottom are pretty close to the natural edges.

Canon R5
840mm
Handheld
ISO 1250
1/3200
f8

LR and PS, DN. Cloned two extra catchlights.

Colin Driscoll
06-24-2021, 04:00 AM
Hi Brian, it is often a decision between negative space and close detail. I really like this portrait showing the unique detail in that fancy hairdo. And that outstanding eye. Lovely.

David Roach
06-24-2021, 02:42 PM
A wonderfully beautiful bird with the full "Sump" treatment. What's not to love... TFS

kevin Hice
06-24-2021, 04:07 PM
Beautiful image Brian. I have some large in the frame. I hope I can get the detail out of it as good as you have here. I love large in the frame personally. I really like the grey background little different. TFS

dankearl
06-24-2021, 05:15 PM
Great subject and your usual nice processing, my only nit is the eye which is similar to the Avocet you posted.
Just not fully open.

Brian Sump
06-26-2021, 12:29 PM
Hi Brian, it is often a decision between negative space and close detail. I really like this portrait showing the unique detail in that fancy hairdo. And that outstanding eye. Lovely.

Colin, agreed. Thank you and glad you liked it!

A wonderfully beautiful bird with the full "Sump" treatment. What's not to love... TFS

David, appreciate that a bunch!

Beautiful image Brian. I have some large in the frame. I hope I can get the detail out of it as good as you have here. I love large in the frame personally. I really like the grey background little different. TFS

Kevin, such a nice species to have shots of. Glad you got some too and appreciate your feedback my friend!

Great subject and your usual nice processing, my only nit is the eye which is similar to the Avocet you posted.
Just not fully open.

Thanks Dan, almost every frame of it going into the sun had a mild squint. Interesting they do similar as humans do evidently.

Paul Burdett
06-27-2021, 07:08 AM
Late to this one Brian, but a stunning close view. You've processed the darks so well...such lovely detail, and a great BG to compliment the Grebe. Then eye looks good to me. Cheers.

John Mack
06-27-2021, 01:55 PM
The light gives some nice texture to the feathers here. Really like the eye on this one.

Wayne Niz
06-28-2021, 04:20 AM
Interesting bird and well captured, great picture TFS

Andreas Liedmann
07-03-2021, 09:36 AM
Hi Brian ... what's not to like here ??!!
I like it as presented .

No nits

TFS Andreas