PDA

View Full Version : Storm Clouds over the Tetons

Gayle Clement
07-09-2008, 09:38 PM
This is a photo that I initially overlooked in the gigs of photos from a really special day in the Grand Tetons last October. I didn't process this one because I was unhappy that I had not tried a pano. It was also have been nice to have a wider angle lens to get a bit more of the sky. That said, is this one worth salvaging?

Nikon D2Xs
Nikkor 70-200VR
F/10@1/80s
-1 1/3 EV
ISO 100

Robert Amoruso
07-10-2008, 07:54 AM
Hi Gayle,

I can see why you made this image, very dynamic looking. Agree it begs for a pano or wider view but I think you also did well capture a slice of the scene.

By better defining the tonalities of the image and cutting a bit of the haze, the drama of the image can be heightened.

In the repost, I did the following:

1) Curves adjustment where I pull up and over on the mid-tones and down and right on the highlights. I then masked out the sky to retain its look.

2) Curves adjustment where I placed an anchor at the mid-tone point and then pulled up and left on the 1/4 tones (shadows). This lighten the FG a lot. I then mask out all of the mountains and the sky from this affect.

Yes, that is two separate curves adjustment above.

3) Local Contrast Enhancement. I did it using an action I created that uses a high pass filter as a smart filter. It allows you to change the radius of the filter and the opacity of the layer adjustment. It is something I developed to go along with a package of actions I will sell later in the year. However, you can do the same using a background copy and a USM Local Contrast Enhancement (try 30/60/0 settings to start). Redo until you find settings that you like.

For a BGC with a USM LCE, try varying opacity to adjust the affect

The LCE cuts out the haze and increases the contrast in the mountain range.

I then masked out the FG as I did not want the affect to occur there.

I also did a version where I did not change the tonality and colors of the FG so much - the trees stayed more orange then going yellow. This happened when I did the curves adjustment in step 2. I posted that version that below. I also cropped it into a square format to emphasis to three peaks ont he left of the image - I just happen to like their proportions.

The recrop also removes the dark trees on the right which are lacking detail.

Robert Amoruso
07-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Recrop and the Curves adjustment in no. 2 above not active.

Noel Carboni
07-10-2008, 09:23 AM
I think it's very nicely balanced composition, and the mountains straining to break through the top of the image heightens their power. The fact that the tip isn't cut off by the edge, but by the clouds, saves it! Personally, I prefer the full width image, and I do like the direction Robert is taking with it.

Beautiful work.

-Noel

Douglas Bolt
07-10-2008, 11:51 AM
I agree on the need to see more of this location. However, I like the idea of working with what is at hand. It is a beautiful image as is, but I think the path that Robert took improved the image as a stand alone image. I'm not sure it captures the feeling of the location as well as the original, but since we can't tinker with the original capture, I, like Robert, took the opposite approach with a slightly different crop.

I liked the border offered by the trees on the right and the light area where the sun is shining in the middle of the nearby trees. To enhance the idea of speckled sun, I dodged a little (not very carefully, as you can see) to enhance the sunny areas behind the first row of trees. Somewhere along the way, the bright orange trees in the foreground got too saturated, so those were desaturated a bit.

I don't know about most folks who post redos of images, but I do it mainly to learn both photography in general and especially Photoshop. I wonder what folks think about including a copy of their Photoshop Layers tracks along with their modified image.

Robert Amoruso
07-10-2008, 12:05 PM
I have been posting the layer stack when the adjustments are multiple like in this case and was just coming back to do it when I saw Douglas' post.

Anyway, here is the full image again with the layer stack. I strengthened the LCE filter more here. The layered tiff that I created is 7 mb. If you would like me to email it to you Gayle, let me know.

Gayle Clement
07-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Robert, I am so grateful for your lengthy explanation and your work on this photo. I learn so very much from you, both when you critique my images and when I read your responses to others. Thanks so much!

I'd love the TIFF
Gayle

Roman Kurywczak
07-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Hi Gayle,
Boy did I miss a lot! Having been there numerous times myself.....I think Robert's final post looks the most natural. i feel the evergreen line on the right.........leads me back up into the mtns. I do like the vert.......but am wishing for more sky there. Not as much on the horizontal.

Paul Marcellini
07-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Ok, well looking through all this. I'd say stick with the original comp. Processing wise, I think Robert's last is a nice improvement. Really great scene here.

Judd Patterson
07-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Stunning scene with amazing light and colors. I love the original processing, but do wish for a bit more room on top for the virtual peak of Grand Teton. Fine work.

Grady Weed
07-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Roberts first repost is exquisite! It would be worth the effort to save this one Gayle. And I too learned a lot by Roberts critiques and his posted instructions. Keep these quality images coming.