PDA

View Full Version : Baird's Sparrow for the hardcore birders

Dorian Anderson
06-22-2021, 09:06 AM
Here's another frame from my recent trip. This was the only Baird's I saw in my nine days in MN/ND/MT.

Yes, the foliage is busy, but I couldn't hope for much else on prairie where nothing is taller than a foot. I had to get hella low and shoot up a ridge to get
any sort of clean BG. The bird is 8-10 inches off the ground here. It would be nice to have a clearer view of the bird, but this is exactly how this species
appears in its habitat. Playback was used to bring the bird into range and get it onto a serviceable perch.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II + 1.4x III on EOS 1DX Mark II
1/3200 at f/7.1, ISO 1000
Processed in LR CC and Topaz without trickery (i.e. nothing added or cloned)

Krishna Prasad kotti
06-22-2021, 09:18 AM
I like the bird. Nice clean background and I like the perch as well.

This is one of my target bird along with long spurs for my upcoming Montana trip.

Thanks for sharing the info

Dorian Anderson
06-22-2021, 09:23 AM
I like the bird. Nice clean background and I like the perch as well.

This is one of my target bird along with long spurs for my upcoming Montana trip.

Thanks for sharing the info

Thanks, Krishna! There are generally more Baird's in eastern MT than western ND, but the ongoing drought has really shaken things up. There were no Leconte's Sparrow or Sprague's Pipits to be found in ND this year. I will be curious to see what you find and view your shots!

Daniel Cadieux
06-22-2021, 06:20 PM
I can understand the natural predicament you faced with this species preferred habitat, and for that reason the image works just fine. I wouldn't mind a bit less below and more above, but OK as is too. Any reason for the "high" ISO and SS? Nothing wrong with that with today's gear, just wondering if it was very windy or you expecting some sort of action?

Dorian Anderson
06-22-2021, 06:30 PM
I can understand the natural predicament you faced with this species preferred habitat, and for that reason the image works just fine. I wouldn't mind a bit less below and more above, but OK as is too. Any reason for the "high" ISO and SS? Nothing wrong with that with today's gear, just wondering if it was very windy or you expecting some sort of action?

Windy, yes! And I wanted to make sure I froze the singing face. It needed to perfect to overcome the fact that I was missing the rest of the bird behind the plant!

Colin Driscoll
06-23-2021, 02:44 AM
I love your anecdotes Dorian, adds meaning to a lovely shot.

Andreas Liedmann
06-23-2021, 10:47 AM
Hi Dorian .... nice capture of the singing bird .
Details and tones looking better to me in this image .
Personally I might tweak the greens in terms of hue ... personal taste .

Interesting to see that you use ANY NR at Iso 1000 with the 1Dx II .... if I can shoot in that LOW ISO range ( Daniel :w3) , I turn ALL NR off .

TFS Andreas

Dorian Anderson
06-23-2021, 12:36 PM
Hi Dorian .... nice capture of the singing bird .
Details and tones looking better to me in this image .
Personally I might tweak the greens in terms of hue ... personal taste .
Interesting to see that you use ANY NR at Iso 1000 with the 1Dx II .... if I can shoot in that LOW ISO range ( Daniel :w3) , I turn ALL NR off .

TFS Andreas

Yeah, the Lighroom Raw converter sucks -- and I haven't been able to figure out how to use other software -- so I need to do at least some NR on all my images.

John Mack
06-27-2021, 01:41 PM
I like the way you framed the sparrow with the vegetation. Nice calling pose and background.