PDA

View Full Version : Red legged partridge ( Alectoris rufa)

Jonathan Ashton
06-01-2021, 08:41 AM
I was squatting by a hedgerow waiting for hares, by chance this red legged came into view:
Olympus : E-M1X
Focal Length : 600.0mm
Focal length in 35 mm film : 1202.0mm
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
ISO Sensitivity : 250
Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
Shutter : 1/320 sec
Aperture : F8

William Dickson
06-01-2021, 04:48 PM
I like it Jon....Very natural looking...Lovely wee birds and you captured a nice pose. Colours on the bird look good here.

Will

John Mack
06-01-2021, 05:23 PM
Nice to see the bird in its environment. I could see a different crop. Less left more right. Nice pose on the partridge.

Dorian Anderson
06-01-2021, 11:13 PM
A nice in-habitat view of this striking species, Jon. I agree with John about the crop; the bird is a bit too centered as it. I could also see a slightly tighter version to put more emphasis on the subject.
The frame looks a bit cool/blue to me, but I'm not an expert of white balance.

Wayne Niz
06-02-2021, 04:55 AM
Hey Jonathan

I agree with Dorian the position of the bird could be better and I find the green foreground and BG a bit distracting, maybe a different crop with less foreground and with the bird a little more to the left?

Steve Kaluski
06-02-2021, 01:50 PM
Hi Jon, nice to see a game bird in it's habitat and it' lovely to see some space around the subject, albeit as presented it's a tad too much IMHO. The light was getting a tad harsh based on the heat haze in the BKG and so you get these dark shadows building on contrast. The colours/WB looks good, but the vegetation needs a teak in Hue, Sat & Lum, so you build on the Greens, then a small tweak in PS, but Im biassing it on numbers & laptop, so room for improvement. To me the pose is nice, but once you had this in the bag I would have like to see you flat on the ground, eye level, that could have been so cool.

TFS
Steve

I might remove the twig on the RHS and some of the HL's