PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Where's the Bib?

Brian Sump
05-24-2021, 04:28 PM

Often Woody's are so skittish in my neck of the woods but was stoked to find a local pond where 3-4 pairs gather in spring and summer.

This Drake let me come as close as I was comfortable. It was in straight shadows so made the most of it.

Bkg is untouched (park grass). Some might not like the little leftovers hanging from the beak but I thought that simple detail added to the frame so I opted to leave it.

R5
1200mm
Handheld
ISO 2500
1/640
f8

LR and PS, DN. Stamped out a handful of small specs in the plumage and beak. Left edge is actual edge, slight crop to taste.

Paul Burdett
05-25-2021, 12:29 AM
What a beautiful looking Drake! Love the colours, overall composition, HA and sharpness. Amazing details, and I'm fine with the "little leftovers":S3:

Kurt Bowman
05-25-2021, 06:25 AM
Awesome detail, colors and love the complimentary BG Brian! I’m also fine with the leftovers. Great work!

Andreas Liedmann
05-25-2021, 02:27 PM
Hi Brian ... a real beauty .
Very nice overall color range and the BG make the duck jump out of the frame . The flat shadow light helped with the otherwise mostly problematic head feathers ...
Good work in the field and in the digital darkroom .
Actually I would prefer a 3x2 crop

Like it a lot and TFS

Andreas

Arthur Morris
05-25-2021, 05:53 PM
Beautiful processing and details. I'd lose the crud on the bill in a heartbeat.

What was your posture while shooting this one? Assuming you were seated, where was your left forearm?

with love, artie

John Mack
05-25-2021, 05:55 PM
Killer portrait of this drake. Love that killer green background. What a beauty.

Brian Sump
05-25-2021, 10:22 PM
What a beautiful looking Drake! Love the colours, overall composition, HA and sharpness. Amazing details, and I'm fine with the "little leftovers":S3:

Paul, thanks my friend. Those leftovers lol... what a mess this guy was ;-)

Awesome detail, colors and love the complimentary BG Brian! I’m also fine with the leftovers. Great work!

Kurt, thanks for noticing. Your comments are valued and appreciated!

Hi Brian ... a real beauty .
Very nice overall color range and the BG make the duck jump out of the frame . The flat shadow light helped with the otherwise mostly problematic head feathers ...
Good work in the field and in the digital darkroom .
Actually I would prefer a 3x2 crop

Like it a lot and TFS

Andreas

Andreas, when you say you like something I always take that to heart. Your standards are high and I don't take it lightly.

RE the crop, for sure a 3x2 would also probably work and I can totally see your mindset on that. I just don't like to add canvas if possible and with the left edge being a boundary and with the desire to leave some room for the end of the hood tip at bottom, I felt this one worked best.

Beautiful processing and details. I'd lose the crud on the bill in a heartbeat.

What was your posture while shooting this one? Assuming you were seated, where was your left forearm?

with love, artie

Artie, I believe for this one I was on one knee shooting traditionally. Thanks for the processing comments and I suppose the leftovers are just subject to personal taste (pun intended)!

Killer portrait of this drake. Love that killer green background. What a beauty.

John, when you say killer I take that as quite a compliment. Thanks so much for your kind words!

arash_hazeghi
05-25-2021, 11:25 PM
classic head shot of the wood duck, we don't have them here I wish we did. I like the green BG that is less common, If mine, I'd also clean up the veggies still attached to the bill. nice details throuhgout

TFS

Wayne Niz
05-26-2021, 05:15 AM
Magnificent pic, love the colours on the bird and the BG. Would also get rid of the left overs now that attention has been brought to it, every time I look at the pic it is distracting. Great pic

William Dickson
05-26-2021, 01:53 PM
Looking good Brian..I like it...These birds remind me of our Mandarin ducks...different shades and colours throughout the bird....You've captured the detail well here...Exposure looks spot on and the green BG 'fits'.....I would also clean up the bill if mine....

Will