PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Australian King Parrot

Colin Driscoll
05-24-2021, 05:25 AM
Another from my tree house deck. The bird was feeding on wattle seeds.
R5 600 III 1.4 III 840mm HH couldn't get tripod without frightening the bird
1/500 f5.6 iso1600 (auto) -0.7ev
DPP4 PS2021 desat red a bit but they are very bright
Removed a couple of bight patches in bg, NR bg only. Unsharp mask.
I think this is a young male that has just got its mature colors (from mostly plain green) and there were some pin feathers around the eye that didn't look great, still a little messy.
Behind me there was a lovely cloudy/blue sky that can be seen in the eye.

Kurt Bowman
05-24-2021, 06:25 AM
This a a really nice frame Collin! Greta detail, I think your choice to desaturate the reds was a good one. I also like the head turn. Nice work!

Andreas Liedmann
05-24-2021, 07:35 AM
Hi Colin ... what a pretty subject . The bird gave you a nice head turn and the eye is awesome .
Nicely separated from the BG .
You are really strong and steady ... shooting HH with that rig :w3 .

Personally I think the IQ has somewhat suffered ... I am missing fine sharp details ... here on my screen .
The tones are looking ok .... still room to play a bit to create a bit more form in the subject .
If this was mine I would correct the WB .... as the image appears quite " blueish" here . But this could be personal taste .... check the ring around the eye , think this is not that color when watching the bird in real life .

TFS Andreas

Brian Sump
05-24-2021, 02:08 PM
Colin, wow what a pretty bird! The rich colors in the plumage, eye and beak are all magnificent on this fine specimen. Super job HH at 1/500.

There is a nice effect against the dark bkg. Looks like quite a bit of detail captured with the R5.

I, too, feel like there might be a bit of IQ degradation here. How large was the crop? Also, you can see a little blue coming through in the black around the eye lores and where the lower mandible meets the plumage. Might be worth playing with it a little to see how you feel with the adjustments.

Only other suggestion would be to look at a version with the subject slightly more left in frame, leaving more to view to the right.

Overall a pleasing frame sir!

Eric Patdu
05-24-2021, 03:45 PM
Love the colors and head turn on this shot.

Colin Driscoll
05-24-2021, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the constructive replies. I totally missed the slight blue cast, my bad!
Brian, it is a 24MB image so around 50% crop.
As for more detail, I expect that is beyond my monitor's ability, looks very detailed to me.
Maybe I am yet to take a critically sharp image?

Brian Sump
05-24-2021, 04:37 PM
Colin, don't get me wrong, it's a fine image for sure! Just lack a tiny bit from this seat.

Have you tried clicking the second tab in DPP and move the Chroma Noise slider up to 10-12? This seemed like it made a big impact when I was using that software.

Also, maybe take a peek at +10 warmth and -12 magenta and see if you like the improvement (to your liking of course).

PS - I'd love to have this frame in my files :-)

Andreas Liedmann
05-25-2021, 02:18 AM
Have you tried clicking the second tab in DPP and move the Chroma Noise slider up to 10-12? This seemed like it made a big impact when I was using that software.

Brian ... your thoughts are very interesting , as I never have to push the " color noise" further than the default settings to get sharp output images . MAYBE I do add +1 or 2 ... when Iso is higher than 6400 with my cameras .... as colors are becoming ugly IMHO when the color noise is pushed too far . For me all up to good exposure work .... :w3
But remember you were saying that .... in the past , the color noise thing . Well sometimes workflow differs .... .

Cheers Andreas

arash_hazeghi
05-25-2021, 02:54 AM
It's a pretty bird but the IQ is brutal. It looks like a cellphone shot for lack of a better description . I am sorry but that's how it looks from here. I think you need to hire someone to show you how to process your files one on one ...and perhaps buy a new monitor that can show what the picture is supposed to look like, otherwise not making much progress mate, I am afraid.

I hope it doesn't come out as harsh but I don't want to sugarcoat and not tell the truth, this is not the point and the spirit of this website and I believe you post here for real feedback beyond the dime a dozen "wonderful image" comment you get on social media.

TFS

Steve Kaluski
05-25-2021, 08:22 AM
Hi Colin, a lot of good feedback and yes, even at 50% the IQ isn't there, in addition how well was it exposed and the 'Red' does appear to be flooded in parts, loosing detail via PP. However, just taking a step back and looking at it from a different POV, could it be partially down to how the camera is set up? I have revised this mine quite a few times, just honing a few setting every now and then. Also, unless bolted down firmly, I would consider upping you SS to avoid pixel blur as previously mention on other postings, with that amount, 45MP you have to think differently unless you have fantastic light. BTW was this shot Mechanical, 1st Curtain or Electronic?

Brian Sump
05-25-2021, 10:04 AM
Brian ... your thoughts are very interesting , as I never have to push the " color noise" further than the default settings to get sharp output images . MAYBE I do add +1 or 2 ... when Iso is higher than 6400 with my cameras .... as colors are becoming ugly IMHO when the color noise is pushed too far . For me all up to good exposure work .... :w3
But remember you were saying that .... in the past , the color noise thing . Well sometimes workflow differs .... .

Cheers Andreas

Andreas, to be clear this is just something with the R5/600mm iii files that I notice specifically. Not sure how others deal with it but there is pretty substantial chroma noise in the files. In DPP I find that I had to move the slider pretty extensively to deal with it. In LR, there is just a simple button under lens corrections "Remove Chromatic Aberration". Both worked well for me, but I can clearly see chroma noise in this file and I believe it is hiding details.

My point was to have him move the slider extensively so he could see the difference. Wherever he lands with it is up to him :-) Thanks amigo!

Arthur Morris
05-25-2021, 11:07 AM
My point here remains the same. Hand holding at 840mm at 1/500 sec. is simply not feasible for most folks. It will almost inevitably lead to focusing and motion blur errors, as I believe is the case here. In Sump's grebe post at 840mm his shutter speed was 1/5000 second ...

with love, artie

Andreas Liedmann
05-25-2021, 02:04 PM
Andreas, to be clear this is just something with the R5/600mm iii files that I notice specifically. Not sure how others deal with it but there is pretty substantial chroma noise in the files. In DPP I find that I had to move the slider pretty extensively to deal with it. In LR, there is just a simple button under lens corrections "Remove Chromatic Aberration". Both worked well for me, but I can clearly see chroma noise in this file and I believe it is hiding details.

My point was to have him move the slider extensively so he could see the difference. Wherever he lands with it is up to him :-) Thanks amigo!

Hey Amigo ....:bg3:

Got your point ..... I kindly disagree , before we go too far " off topic " .

We can create a thread in the " workflow section " , if you like .

Cheers Andreas :S3:

Colin Driscoll
05-25-2021, 02:25 PM
Hi Colin, a lot of good feedback and yes, even at 50% the IQ isn't there, in addition how well was it exposed and the 'Red' does appear to be flooded in parts, loosing detail via PP. However, just taking a step back and looking at it from a different POV, could it be partially down to how the camera is set up? I have revised this mine quite a few times, just honing a few setting every now and then. Also, unless bolted down firmly, I would consider upping you SS to avoid pixel blur as previously mention on other postings, with that amount, 45MP you have to think differently unless you have fantastic light. BTW was this shot Mechanical, 1st Curtain or Electronic?

Thanks Steve, it was shot Electronic.

Steve Kaluski
05-25-2021, 04:09 PM
OK Colin.

Just as a matter of comparison, as both Artie and I have previously suggested a higher SS, if the weather is good and the ISO is not excessive, push the SS and let’s see, I’m sure it will address some of the above reservations and the images will substantially improve :S3:

John Mack
05-25-2021, 05:49 PM
Neat looking parrot.

Brian Sump
05-25-2021, 10:39 PM
Hey Amigo ....:bg3:

Got your point ..... I kindly disagree , before we go too far " off topic " .

We can create a thread in the " workflow section " , if you like .

Cheers Andreas :S3:

All good man. Replied to your email :-)