PDA

View Full Version : Wimbrell

arash_hazeghi
05-21-2021, 01:49 AM
another close-up flight shot of the wimbrell from a few weeks ago. there were at least 10 birds there but last week they were all gone. glad I got a few shots before they left! this was shot at the beach, BG is cliffs covered in pickleweed

A1 200-600 at 600mm f/6.3 1/4000 sec ISO-1000 handheld processed with C1P. Hope you like it

Dorian Anderson
05-21-2021, 09:52 AM
Looks great man. Detail on the fully-thrown near wing is excellent.

I am seriously considering a switch to that combo as I could probably cover the cost by selling my DX2 and 600 (Sony 600 not a financial option).
My current rig is so heavy, and it feels above 3 AF generations behind what others are using. It's just so **** frustrating that Canon has introduced
their mirrorless system in pieces. We simply don't know what the R5 can do because we're still piecing together adaptors, EF TCs, and EF 600s.
But even if we know what the RF 600 and RF TCs will be able to do, I can't afford them. The only way for me to get an 'affordable' AND lighter
kit is to move to Sony. I'm just not sure that the **** to do with all the other Canon gear I have. And I'm not sure I'm doing enough shooting to
justify any move at the moment. So, lots to think about on this end. It is great to see what this A1 + 200-600 can do in the right hands!

Wayne Niz
05-21-2021, 02:50 PM

I am seriously considering a switch to that combo as I could probably cover the cost by selling my DX2 and 600 (Sony 600 not a financial option).
My current rig is so heavy, and it feels above 3 AF generations behind what others are using. It's just so **** frustrating that Canon has introduced
their mirrorless system in pieces. We simply don't know what the R5 can do because we're still piecing together adaptors, EF TCs, and EF 600s.
But even if we know what the RF 600 and RF TCs will be able to do, I can't afford them. The only way for me to get an 'affordable' AND lighter
kit is to move to Sony. I'm just not sure that the **** to do with all the other Canon gear I have. And I'm not sure I'm doing enough shooting to
justify any move at the moment. So, lots to think about on this end. It is great to see what this A1 + 200-600 can do in the right hands!

Hi Dorian,

If I may offer some advice (although please be aware im a complete newbie). I have the R5 and R6 and use EF lenses with the adapter. This combination works seamlessly, I have the 70-200 2.8l ii, 100-400L ii, 600 4l ii and use the TC 1.4 iii and TC 2 iii with these lenses (in fact I have even stacked the 1.4 and the 2 with an extension tube on my 600 and still had perfect autofocus). I also have Sigma EF lenses 105 1.4, 50 1.4, 24-32 1.8 and the 70 2.8 macro, every one of them work perfectly. So while making your choice in my view compatibility on EF lenses on the RF mount is not a concern. In fact its an advantage because you can get the equivalent EF lenses much cheaper...

Good luck

Wayne Niz
05-21-2021, 02:52 PM
another close-up flight shot of the wimbrell from a few weeks ago. there were at least 10 birds there but last week they were all gone. glad I got a few shots before they left! this was shot at the beach, BG is cliffs covered in pickleweed

A1 200-600 at 600mm f/6.3 1/4000 sec ISO-1000 handheld processed with C1P. Hope you like it
Hi Arash,

Great pic, love the feather pattern

arash_hazeghi
05-21-2021, 08:03 PM
Hi Dorian,

If I may offer some advice (although please be aware im a complete newbie). I have the R5 and R6 and use EF lenses with the adapter. This combination works seamlessly, I have the 70-200 2.8l ii, 100-400L ii, 600 4l ii and use the TC 1.4 iii and TC 2 iii with these lenses (in fact I have even stacked the 1.4 and the 2 with an extension tube on my 600 and still had perfect autofocus). I also have Sigma EF lenses 105 1.4, 50 1.4, 24-32 1.8 and the 70 2.8 macro, every one of them work perfectly. So while making your choice in my view compatibility on EF lenses on the RF mount is not a concern. In fact its an advantage because you can get the equivalent EF lenses much cheaper...

Good luck

Thanks for chiming in.

despite the recent improvements, I am afraid the canon AF and performance is miles away next to the Sony alpha-1 and even alpha-9 series for someone who like to make high quality dynamic fames and wants to be sharp. I had the Canon 600 MKi II for many years and I did not find it to be sharp with the 2X III. But my standards are pretty high and what many folks call sharp it's a delete for me. I think Dorian has similar taste.

arash_hazeghi
05-21-2021, 08:28 PM

Hey Dorian,

I feel your pain, if I had to shoot with something like that 1DX series today knowing the Sony existed I would probably give it all up and do something else with my precious time. It sucks to be in font of a drooling scene and have the camera f*** it up.

If I were you I'd sell the Canon gear while it is worth something. The main issue is that to shoot at 30 or 20 fps and get all the frames tack sharp like you want them you need different kinds of motors in the lenses with the precision and the control granularity that can adjust focus by just a tiny amount for each frame so that 95+% is tack sharp. The old DSLR lenses cannot do this. mounting the old lens and shooting at 30 fps you will get a lot of those semi soft frames that the internet experts rave about but you and I delete at the scene! You don't want that.

The Sony a-1 is an order of magnitude better than anything else that is out there and will be out there for a long time and it pairs nicely with the 200-600. Just one pass of a shorebird in good light will get you all those frames that you always wanted. the only limitation is that it is f/6.3 so for low light it will be limiting compared to an f/4 prime but if you don't shoot much in low light that's not a factor.

Even the Sony's older a-9 I/II are far better than any Canon offering at the time in terms of AF consistency, finder lag, finder slideshow effect, rolling shutter problem. overheating etc etc. so if I were you I would consider dumping it all and start fresh with the Sony 600 and a9 and then add an a1 down the road. but if that's not option the a-1 plus the modest zoom will easily top your current rig by many orders in every measurable way. don't doubt even for a second. Even a Nikon D500 and 500 PF puts that 1DX into shame when it comes to AF and action and it's a whole lot cheaper too.

hope this helps

dankearl
05-21-2021, 08:58 PM
Terrific photo arash, wing position is really nice...
I have some of the same questions as Dorian, but I am happy for now with Nikon, An expensive hobby for sure these days since
there is nothing to do with bird photography... Not sure you need the a1 to post on instagram... It is a completely personal hobby and for now
the D500 still beats anything for the money.
The people I know who have and are getting into bird photography do it strictly for Instagram, there are outstanding photographers with thousands of followers
and they use all kinds of equipment...
Off topic, sorry.

arash_hazeghi
05-21-2021, 09:08 PM
Terrific photo arash, wing position is really nice...
I have some of the same questions as Dorian, but I am happy for now with Nikon, An expensive hobby for sure these days since
there is nothing to do with bird photography... Not sure you need the a1 to post on instagram... It is a completely personal hobby and for now
the D500 still beats anything for the money.
The people I know who have and are getting into bird photography do it strictly for Instagram, there are outstanding photographers with thousands of followers
and they use all kinds of equipment...
Off topic, sorry.

believe it or not I don't have an instagram account or if I have one I don't post anything on it. I do have a 4K frame TV and a 4K monitor and on that a quality shot makes a difference. In a few years it will be 8K. It's also about capturing the ideal moment for example with other cameras you wouldn't get this wing position. many passes don't produce ideal wing positions at 10fps but at the 30 fps they do....

RE. price I have to say it is actually cheap considering what you get for $6500 today compared to the what you used to get for 6500 2012 dollars. a 1DX! even today Nikon/Canon are still asking 6500 for their top of the line DSLRs which are nothing but a sad joke next to this camera so the price is actually good IMO. I agree D500 is a great camera for the $.

cheers

dankearl
05-21-2021, 10:37 PM
I agree 100% Arash. If you want the best quality there is no doubt that the A1 is far and away the best on the market.
I appreciate the best.
I was just following up Dorian, it is a tough call unless you are striving for the best and can afford it.
That was my point.
People should first of all, get the best out of what they have, most don't. I hang out with bird photogs shooting the same stuff I do and
they have a1 and 600 and cant get decent shots.
I have a very good friend shoots with D500 and Sigma 150-600 and gets better shots than I do and has huge instagram following because
he is a really good bird photographer..

arash_hazeghi
05-22-2021, 03:55 AM
Fully agree no amount of equipment substitute the skill of the photographer and many folks will get the same harsh light steep angle junk with the a1 as they did with the canon 7d. Gear doesn’t teach you how to make a great shot and it doesn’t make a better photographer. It’s just a tool and does not substitute talent or skill.

Dorian Anderson
05-22-2021, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the input, Arash. Your suggestions really seem to confirm my suspicions. Not only would the a1 + zoom be better
AF at roughly the same IQ, it will weight 1/2 as much! That's a huge consideration as I am likely to spend 2 months traveling
around Africa later this year. Being able to bring the 200-600 would give me all the focal lengths I needs for birds AND mammals.
If I stay with my current Canon kit, I'll have lug my 600/4 and my 100-400!

John Mack
05-23-2021, 10:22 AM
Looks great, espcially that near wing.

Volkan Akgul
05-23-2021, 04:34 PM
hi Arash,

very vell done.

congratulations

arash_hazeghi
06-02-2021, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the input, Arash. Your suggestions really seem to confirm my suspicions. Not only would the a1 + zoom be better
AF at roughly the same IQ, it will weight 1/2 as much! That's a huge consideration as I am likely to spend 2 months traveling
around Africa later this year. Being able to bring the 200-600 would give me all the focal lengths I needs for birds AND mammals.
If I stay with my current Canon kit, I'll have lug my 600/4 and my 100-400!

man for travel 2-6 is your lens. you can put it under the seat of any aircraft (or just hold it in your hand :D). You can also take this combo everywhere and even if you didn't find anything worth shooting you won't be logging a huge heavy lens and on you and continuously curse it!