PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Tree Bulb

Julie Kenward
07-09-2008, 12:49 PM
While at Powell Gardens last weekend I ran across this tropical plant in the far corner of the conservatory. I shot it with the natural light that was available and realized when I got home how much it reminded me of a Christmas tree bulb. I have no idea what plant this is from...anyone recognize it?

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Rest of the stats are missing due to motherboard burn out...:eek:

Kaushik Balakumar
07-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Sharp take with lovely details. Liked the smooth darker BG.
Composition as such does not appeal too much. Few other angles might have helped. May be a lower perspective + a little left of u - just to provide some separation from the OOF bud behind. Just a thought.

Richard Waas
07-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Julie, I love the color. I agree with the change of angle and love the dark BG. Didn't know Christmas trees grew from bulbs, lol.

Steve Foss
07-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Julie, I'm with Kaushik on this one. Ditto his pluses and minuses.

The light is strong to the point of being harsh, and the heavy grain on the buds does not add to things for me. Was this a flashed image? This is just my opinion, and we all see art in different ways, none better than the other, so take my thoughts simply for what they are worth to you.

Sorry to hear about the motherboard burnout. That has to suck! :(

Gus Cobos
07-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Nicely done Julie,
I love the soft peach color of the bulb. It has good texture. The dark background makes this image pop...:cool:

Julie Kenward
07-09-2008, 06:43 PM
No flash, Steve...this was just a ray of light coming in through the conservatory's glass side. I realize the light is a bit harsh but, for some odd reason, I liked it here. I did take another image at a different angle so I might have to dig that one out and see if you all like it better.

Not a perfect image by any means...but I really like it for some strange reason. Maybe because it does remind me of Christmas tree lights.:D

Mike Moats
07-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Hey Julie, I like the image, great color and light, but agree that it needs a slight angle, like on the diagonal.

John Cooper
07-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Hi Julie, the lighting on this interesting bud does look a bit harsh against the dark BG - my first thought was flash until I read you comments. Your comments on my 3 orange shrooms came to mind ;)

Fabs Forns
07-10-2008, 07:49 AM
They seem to be lit against the dark BG, very well seen :)

carole wiley
07-10-2008, 08:36 AM
I agree the angle could be improved but I do like the texture and light.

Tony Kirkby
07-10-2008, 04:16 PM
I like the light on this one and the colour but do agree a different angle might have worked better.

Tony