PDA

View Full Version : Broad Bodied Chaser - Libellula depressa

Jonathan Michael Ashton
07-09-2008, 10:33 AM
This is one of the few shots of dragonflies I have been able to get this year.
Canon 20D Canon 180mm macro Canon 550EZ plus Stofen Omnibounce

ISO 200 -1/3
1/100 sec @ f14
fill in flash -1

All comments welcome
Jon

Steve Wheeler
07-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Very cool looking DF! I've never seen one like this. Exceptional focus, detail and DOF... BG is delicious and complements the color of the DF very well, but may contribute to the feeling of the whole image being a tad dark... could just be me... The light/colors on the tail and back look great.... Maybe it's just because we can't see any detail under his wing? He's kinda quartering away from the camera... Personally I like to see'em in full profile... facing the camera... or somewhere in between (HAP). Compositionally there's something about the stick being almost dead center that isn't sitting right w/ me.

Steve

Kaushik Balakumar
07-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Like Steve, I too have never seen this kinda DF. Thanks for sharing.
Even though the angle is a bit oblique, u've managed to keep the entire DF from head to tail in good focus.
Exposure wise, it seems fine on my monitor.

Steve Foss
07-09-2008, 05:46 PM
This is a great job of exposure and comp, IMO. Normally I like a DF angling toward me, but the body is so impressive here that I think you've done well with the angle and framing. Good job controlling the chalky pale slate body exposure.

We have a similar species here on this side of the pond called a chalk-sided corporal that offers the same types of challenges.

Mike Moats
07-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Hey Jon, great job on the details, love the BG color. I might be tempted to crop some on the left just to pull it out of center. Great image.

John Cooper
07-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Hi Jon, this is a very robust looking critter!!
Normally I would like to see a more frontal perspective but the interesting colouring of abdomen and tail area makes this presentation work for me. I do find the near-side thorax and head a little dark.

Jonathan Michael Ashton
07-10-2008, 05:24 AM
Thanks very much everyone, I managed to get a bit of detail in the dark areas mostly through what I have learnt from this website. I used saturation, then curves and then selective colour on the blacks to provide a little pop. I selectively sharpened the dragonfly.
Jon