PDA

View Full Version : Bald Eagle

Doug Brown
07-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Here's another Bald Eagle shot from this winter. This eagle had dropped it's meal, so it circled back and grabbed it a second time. It was snowing at the time, and shooting conditions were less than ideal. But I was pleased with the photo. This was another experiment in using small apertures (see my earlier juvenile Bald Eagle post).

http://birdwhisperer.smugmug.com/photos/317897129_b3hEp-XL.jpg

Canon 1D Mark III, 700mm, f/13, 1/1000, ISO 1000, manual exposure, no flash, tripod

Grady Weed
07-09-2008, 10:52 AM
I have always been drawn to the classic eagle shot. Tail down, wings back, claws outstretched and head looking right the prey with beak open. You certainly caught the right pose here. Perhaps just a tad crop on the right side. But not too much, he needs room to land and take off, virtually speaking. My eyes are bad today, so I cant comment on sharpness. I like the wing spread for the most part, nice feathers in good condition. You seem to have done well with the snow, ice and exposure. Could you or did you play with different background light conditions?

Your one up on me here with the classic eagle grab at least. Keep them coming Doug.

Juan Aragonés
07-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Hey Doug waht a great action! The opened clawas and the blod around the fish adds a lot of dramatism to this "predator-prey" scene. The comp works very fine in my opinion. I am not sure but I see some "artifacts" (noise?) in the dark areas of the plumage.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Great moment captured. I like the pose and angle. The noise is not too bad considering the high ISO. This fish doesn't look too good anymore. :)

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Wow love the action in this image Doug and he looks like he can hardly wait to get his talons on that fish !!! Love the composition.

Sharna Lee
07-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Sweeeeeeet!!!!
I really like this one a lot. The position of the eagle, the fish laying dead on the ground and the blanket of snow.
Just a great image here Doug.

Sharna

Dan Brown
07-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Great shot as usual Doug! I really like seeing these winter snow shots right now as it's 106 degrees here in Sacramento with China-like air quality!! I'm cooler just looking at this!! Dan Brown

Raul Quinones
07-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Great picture, love the pose and how the eagle stand out on the white background.

Maxis Gamez
07-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Hi Doug,

Very powerful image. Love the wings and the meal!!

Doug Brown
07-09-2008, 10:24 PM
I think what you are seeing is snowflakes Juan.

Robert O'Toole
07-16-2008, 09:11 PM
I like it Doug, the pose, the talons, the eagle is locked on the target, and comp is great.

Have you tried taking some of the blue out of the snow and ice?

Where was the image made?

Robert