PDA

View Full Version : Theme Cormorant... Yawning?

Joseph Przybyla
05-03-2021, 06:45 AM
I captured this image recently along Wading Bird Way in Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. The reason I asked the question regarding yawning is because the nest activity of the bird was to tuck it's head against the back feathers and went to sleep. When possible and the bird is trusting or tame I like to work tight, the behavior at times can be quite engaging and comical. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
Nikon 500mm F/5.6 VR AF-S ED PF + Nikon 1.4 III Teleconverter, camera and lens supported by a Oben carbon fiber monopod with a Wimberly MonoGimbal head
1/2000 F/8 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 720 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 700mm (1050mm 35mm Equivalent)
Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2021 and Neat Image for noise reduction
Cropped for composition and presentation

Kurt Bowman
05-03-2021, 07:06 AM
Awesome detail Joe! I am not sure what question you asked about yawning, I must have missed it, but I personally like the yawning image. The dark blue BG really sets this off. Nice work!

gail bisson
05-03-2021, 09:34 AM
Lots of good details.
I don't think birds yawn so maybe he was working on bringing up a pellet?
Gail

annmpacheco
05-03-2021, 03:33 PM
Hi Joe, don't see this too often , interesting behavior, did this happen only once?

John Mack
05-03-2021, 06:45 PM
The view of the top of the mouth is interesting. I like the framing and the pose. You should have entered it for the theme.

Brian Sump
05-03-2021, 10:01 PM
Joe, beautifully processed. Are there more gorgeous eyes than that of a Cormorant?

Comp works and it's cool to see down the hatch here. Only way I could see to improve is if it were a little more dead on to the sensor.

TFS!

Joseph Przybyla
05-04-2021, 02:20 PM
Hi Joe, don't see this too often , interesting behavior, did this happen only once?

Hi Ann, thank you for viewing and commenting. Yes, while I was working with this bird the open mouth only happened once, then the bird laid it's head along the back and appeared to nap. As Gail asked about behavior expelling a undigested pellet, I have seen birds do that open wide, gag but then turn the head downward to gag up the pellet. This one kept the head high as in a yawn. Thanks again for commenting...

Arthur Morris
05-06-2021, 10:42 AM
DATPCA. If you had been able to get a bit higher and more to the right, you might have had an even better look down the throat. As to the question of whether birds actually yawn, I found a neat article here. (https://www.lauraerickson.com/radio/program/10670/do-birds-yawn-reworked/)The conclusion is that we don't really know either way.

with love, artie

Joseph Przybyla
05-06-2021, 11:37 AM
DATPCA. If you had been able to get a bit higher and more to the right, you might have had an even better look down the throat. As to the question of whether birds actually yawn, I found a neat article here. (https://www.lauraerickson.com/radio/program/10670/do-birds-yawn-reworked/)The conclusion is that we don't really know either way.

with love, artie

Hi Artie, thank you for viewing and commenting. I hear what you write regarding higher and to the right. The action happened unexpectedly, so really didn't have a chance for higher or right. I opened the link you provided and printed the article to read and save. Thanks again...

Joseph Przybyla
05-11-2021, 08:43 AM
Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, much appreciated.