PDA

View Full Version : White Bellied Sea Eagle

Ian McLachlan
05-02-2021, 06:55 AM
This frame was taken several years ago off the coast of Kangaroo Island in South Australia. David Salem came was visiting and we threw out a fish or two while heading for the early morning light. As they were feeding their young they were pretty active. I have been photographing
these for some years and you simply cannot fluke being close enough to get a natural catch.Thus the we use the way they get a feed sometimes from the fishermen's offal ,and by stealing from other birds for that matter. About 20 pairs left on this iIsland but they will not tolerate activity above them from humans or other Eagles for that matter they live on very remote cliff faces.building
gigantic nests They are not endangered however. The girls have a 6ft wing as span and both can catch small wallabies and possums as well as fish and will feed on Kangaroo road kill from time to time and they and Wedge Tailed eagles kill each others young given half chance.

D5
500mm +1.4
1/4000th
Iso 1000
hh
30% crop
6.15am
comments very welcome

dankearl
05-02-2021, 01:42 PM
Terrific subject... A bit of NR on the BG and some slight sharpening on the bird would improve this for me.

Brian Sump
05-02-2021, 03:50 PM
Ian, this frame has fantastic action of a species I never see and I always love white on blue.

Dan's comments were exactly my thoughts. There seems to be plenty of detail available in the frame and I think those two minor edits could really enhance the image.

Great capture!

Paul Burdett
05-02-2021, 04:31 PM
Ian. Great action here...love it. This is the shot I was hoping for at Pt Arkwright:w3 I got the pose, but the far wing was in shadow due to the sun angle off the viewing platform...and no fish. Will have to visit Kangaroo Island!

arash_hazeghi
05-03-2021, 02:45 AM
lovely shot Ian, got the fish and the clear too. agree with a touch more sharpening, excellent frame overall

TFS

Ian McLachlan
05-03-2021, 04:40 AM
Thanks all. Will work hard on the noise factor in future shots .November on KI Paul?

Paul Burdett
05-03-2021, 06:28 AM
Sounds good...will look into the area. Cheers!

Kurt Bowman
05-03-2021, 07:15 AM
Really nice frame Ian. the action is terrific and the BG really makes the white bird pop. I agree with the other comments.

John Mack
05-03-2021, 06:40 PM
Nice to see the eagle wish the fish right above the water. I like the blue water background. Nice light and detail on the bird.

Arthur Morris
05-06-2021, 11:17 AM
DATPCA. Is the fish in the photo a native fish? When we toss frozen herring to the eagle in AK I never keep an image showing the frozen fish ... Sharp capture at the peak of the action. The shadow on the near underwing bugs me a bit.

with love, artie