PDA

View Full Version : Blue-face Honeyeater

Paul Burdett
05-01-2021, 11:33 PM
This immature Blue-face Honeyeater was perched as I was waiting for more Kites/Ospreys/Sea eagles to arrive at Point Arkwright on the Sunshine Coast. The mature bird has a turquoise and cobalt skin patch around the yellow eye, but I love the colours on the immature bird as well.

D500/500PF, 1/1000th sec@f5.6, iso500, manual mode, HH. Cheers.

Ian McLachlan
05-02-2021, 04:08 AM
Well done Paul. I agree about the young ones' colours;just as striking.The white wing feathers from the South Easterly breeze ? add to this. Not sure about the fork nearest the birds bill.

Waiting to see more Braminys, Sea Eagles etc

Arthur Morris
05-02-2021, 04:50 AM
Wicked. Perfect pose and head angle and sharp. and oh, what a bird. Eliminating the fork would be easy.

with love, a

Paul Burdett
05-02-2021, 06:57 AM
Thanks Ian and Artie. I did think about removing the "fork", but couldn't decide. You've made my decision easier.
Also, I normally get an email to advise when I get a response to my photos...didn't get one this time. This has happened in the past too. Unsure why. (not in spam folder)

Brian Sump
05-02-2021, 03:54 PM
Paul, first time ever viewing this species so thanks for that look into the other side of the world!

The subject looks great - evenly parallel to the sensor and sharp throughout. I think you might be able to tame the bright chest just a little, did you check the RGB brightness values there? Could just be me.

Otherwise, I think the off-light angle created some shadows/contrast that may be less than ideal. In a perfect world, something more luscious than a bright blue bkg would be fantastic.

TFS.

Paul Burdett
05-02-2021, 04:21 PM
Hi Brian: Thank you for the feedback...always appreciated. Glad to offer something new from "down under". Yes, the chest brights are a bit high...just reduced them...looks much better (RGB values were around 250-252). Must admit to not seeing shadows, but maybe the contrast is too much?. Yes to the sky..not ideal I know, but that's what it was. Cheers.

Brian Sump
05-02-2021, 04:59 PM
Hi Brian: Thank you for the feedback...always appreciated. Glad to offer something new from "down under". Yes, the chest brights are a bit high...just reduced them...looks much better (RGB values were around 250-252). Must admit to not seeing shadows, but maybe the contrast is too much?. Yes to the sky..not ideal I know, but that's what it was. Cheers.

Paul, RE the shadows, mainly was looking at the back of the next and top of wings. Might be worth a little selecting dodging there, but the more I look at it I think the natural darks and lights on the bird give it more of a shadow/contrast effect than what is real. Probably just me not familiar with the species more than anything.

Paul Burdett
05-02-2021, 06:53 PM
Brian. You have a very keen eye for sure. Believe it or not after I posted it I had another look and thought that the dark area at the back of the neck was a little too dark/soft (the result of applying selective Topaz Denoise to various areas...should have left that area alone). I left it but wondered if anyone would mention that area. The top of the wing area I felt was ok, but maybe there's some detail to be brought out there...will take another look and maybe re-edit. I really appreciate your feedback...I think I sometimes post too early, and often find something I think needs modifying after I post,even if I think I'm happy with the "final" edit...maybe the "perfectionist" in us?

Vaughn Larsen
05-02-2021, 07:48 PM
Paul - really enjoyed this image. Great feather detail, love the area around the eye, nice angled perch. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of this bird either.

Paul Burdett
05-02-2021, 09:04 PM
Hi Vaughn. Thanks so much...glad you like it.

John Mack
05-03-2021, 06:39 PM
Nice and sharp with a good pose. Such a neat looking bird as well.