PDA

View Full Version : Guillemots

Steve Kaluski
04-26-2021, 09:36 AM
You'll not really get a clean shot of just one bird here on route to Staple's island, these birds are so huddled up, as the tide just lashes up against the face wall. Yes, the viewers eyes don't quite know where to look, but that's my point I wish to convey, just sheer chaos... Shot from a rolling boat.

Steve

Subject: Guillemots (Uria aalge)
Camera: Canon EOS-1D X MK2
Lens: EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
Exposure: 1/1600s at f/9 ISO1250 EV +0.33
Original format: Landsascpe, slight crop from the top, FF width
Processed via: LRC 9.4 & PS2020

Jonathan Ashton
04-26-2021, 09:53 AM
Just a hint of chocolate in the dark plumage and super detail in the white. From my POV no need to apologise for the surroundings I am becoming more and more keen on seeing wildlife in natural circumstances. The scene is busy but you have very clearly depicted the guillemots at the front.

Steve Kaluski
04-26-2021, 10:07 AM
Thanks, Jon, you were there too. :bg3:

Kurt Bowman
04-26-2021, 10:38 AM
Yes it's busy, but you did a great job in separating the front birds Steve. I like the interactions also.

Randy Stout
04-26-2021, 11:02 AM
STEVE:

Excellent story telling image. I can almost smell the guano. Good choice on f/stop.

Purely a small thought (aren't they all!): I might try a version with the far left bird half way up the left side, removed. I think it would help keep your viewer within the frame so to speak, to not have the white breast right on the frame edge. Tiny tweak for sure.

Cheers

Randy

Steve Kaluski
04-26-2021, 02:05 PM
Thanks Kurt.

BTW and I know it's a daft question, but you are the Kurt who was a member many years ago and on another Forum, with 'shades'..???? :bg3:

Steve Kaluski
04-26-2021, 02:09 PM
Purely a small thought (aren't they all!): I might try a version with the far left bird half way up the left side, removed. I think it would help keep your viewer within the frame so to speak, to not have the white breast right on the frame edge. Tiny tweak for sure.

Thanks Randy, I know what you mean, always hard when you get a comp like this and truncate a body or head. I thought having more of the body than less I could have got away with it, but.... I just blew in some colour, always had when you have a 'ghosting' subject as you don't want hard edges, but here you go.

Randy Stout
04-26-2021, 02:29 PM
Steve:

I do prefer the repost.

Randy

John Mack
04-26-2021, 02:47 PM
Neat frame. Most of the bird's have nice head angles.

gail bisson
04-27-2021, 12:35 PM
Repost looks great.
The best part of this image is the fact that you have been able to show the hint of chocolate brown in the bird's plumage. Very hard to do.
Gail

Andreas Liedmann
04-29-2021, 11:28 AM
Hi Steve ... lovely looking " bird chaos" , good to see something different :S3:.
IQ as expected ... good solid job on that front . Cool tonal range with truck loads of detail from light to dark .... the flat light really helped on that front .
Personally I do not mind about the left side ... matter of taste .
Interesting to see that folks can create stunning sharpness or noise levels without Topaz ..... oh well :w3:S3:....

Overall a cool frame and TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
04-30-2021, 07:42 AM
The best part of this image is the fact that you have been able to show the hint of chocolate brown in the bird's plumage. Very hard to do.

Thank you Gail.

nteresting to see that folks can create stunning sharpness or noise levels without Topaz ..... oh well

The product is a good product when used correctly Andreas, but like you, I'm somewhat puzzled why folk apply this or any other NR software to images below ISO2000, even worse, below 1000!!!! I can only assume either the image wasn't correctly exposed at time of capture, or the file is indeed noisy, but is it grain or colour???? IMHO why apply an additional layer of adjustment when the image really does not require it????

Andreas Liedmann
05-02-2021, 12:15 PM
The product is a good product when used correctly Andreas?

Well personally I do not think it is a good product .... even if I do zero out the NR the product does apply some of it :eek3::eek3: . But it is ok .... I do not have to use it if I do not like it .