PDA

View Full Version : Gill Patterns

Tony Kirkby
07-09-2008, 03:49 AM
I liked the gill patterns on these mushrooms and also the way the two are pushing against each other.

Nikon D200
Nikon 60mm macro
f16

John Cooper
07-09-2008, 04:44 AM
Yes I agree Tony, the gill patterns always make interesting images. A fairly busy environment here - a closer approach would work best for me placing more emphasis on the gills.

Julie Kenward
07-09-2008, 08:45 AM
It is a bit busy but it really doesn't bother me much. I could see where you might want to try blurring the green BG (background) just a little bit more to take some of the emphasis off it and back on the mushrooms. I really do like the textural differences between the shrooms and the leaves. I think a bit of fill flash might have set those mushrooms apart from it just a bit more but, overall, a very interesting image!

Steve Foss
07-09-2008, 05:51 PM
While I very much enjoy environmental images such as this (the mirror image of the two mushrooms is cool), I tend in my own work to emphasize tightness and closeness. This image is what I imagine we'd see in a field guide to mushrooms.

As art, I'm particularly interested in the region the two mushrooms contact each other. A tighter comp that shows the joining would look somewhat like a fish with big lips pointing down, and those gills would make it even more fishlike up close. So many echoes in nature, one thing looking like another . . .

Mike Moats
07-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Hey Tony, as Steve points out its a great environmetal image which you did well on. I tend to view images and shoot more from a art look, which I would suggest a shallow DOF to help blur the BG more. Nice work.