PDA

View Full Version : Ruddy Set Go

Brian Sump
04-08-2021, 10:14 PM

Same preserve as where I saw the Horned Grebe.

I don't think this fella is quite fully decked out in his mating attire. Will try to get back next week and hope to get the courtship dance.

Canon R5
840mm
Handheld
ISO 1600
1/2000
f8

LR and PS, DN. Evicted one bright spot below the duck on the water, and a couple dust specs on the feathers.

PS - I guess the nictitating membrane is just partially visible on this species. All shots were like this.

Jonathan Ashton
04-09-2021, 03:21 AM
Nice shot I 'm glad to see some texture and detail, I really don't see any point worrying about the nictitating membrane, the duck has one and it moves!!

William Dickson
04-09-2021, 01:38 PM
Wow Brian....Look at those different shades of brown/copper...You managed to get great detail to show the feathers at their best...Great POV and HA....No nits here...What a lovely looking duck and you show it very well.

Will

Andreas Liedmann
04-10-2021, 10:10 AM
Hi Brian .... the image has your signature :w3:S3:

You really got your grips on the kit and the processing !!!!
A real pleasure to enjoy the technical output .

A very cool subject and you nailed it with the low POV .... I really like the " waves" in front and at the end of the duck . Lovely colors and a very nice overall tone range .
The head feathers are looking a tiny bit coarse ... but this might be down of being wet and their natural structure . If you have added any local contrast to that area I might reduce it slightly .... and see how it does look . But this is very picky .... so you can ignore it or try it out .

TFS Andreas

Brian Sump
04-10-2021, 02:57 PM
Nice shot I 'm glad to see some texture and detail, I really don't see any point worrying about the nictitating membrane, the duck has one and it moves!!

Jon, yeah I see what you're saying. Traditional feedback says the shot is effectively a dud if the membrane is showing. I was just sort of surprised on this species that it was regularly visible

Thank you for your comments!

Wow Brian....Look at those different shades of brown/copper...You managed to get great detail to show the feathers at their best...Great POV and HA....No nits here...What a lovely looking duck and you show it very well.

Will

Will, I appreciate you man. I'm glad you liked it as presented, I was elated to finally get a grab on one of these handsome guys :-)

Hi Brian .... the image has your signature :w3:S3:

You really got your grips on the kit and the processing !!!!
A real pleasure to enjoy the technical output .

A very cool subject and you nailed it with the low POV .... I really like the " waves" in front and at the end of the duck . Lovely colors and a very nice overall tone range .
The head feathers are looking a tiny bit coarse ... but this might be down of being wet and their natural structure . If you have added any local contrast to that area I might reduce it slightly .... and see how it does look . But this is very picky .... so you can ignore it or try it out .

TFS Andreas

Andreas, literally has my signature haha! Thank you... you see something in this image that you think signifies my style?

RE the head feathers, yes I absolutely understand. In fact, on the sharpening step I brushed the white layer almost down to the base layer in the head feathers and this is the result. They just had a bit of that look from being wet and perhaps the light angle too, but I can certainly revisit it.

Jack Backs
04-10-2021, 03:23 PM
Very nice. Love copper color. A nemesis species of mine. I've been trying to get close to drake for a few years. Wishing to get an image as nice as this.

Volkan Akgul
04-10-2021, 04:26 PM
Hi Brian,

successful and full of effort. Congratulations.

Dorian Anderson
04-11-2021, 08:59 AM
Strong view of this cute little, bird, Brian. Ours our currently molting into this plumage prior to departing north for the summer.

No complaints from me. Exposure and details look great, and I especially appreciate the low angle.

Bill Dix
04-11-2021, 03:00 PM
Terrific shot, Brian. Great POV, lovely colors. Looks pretty close to full breeding plumage, but I don't usually get to see them in such attire.

Brian Sump
04-11-2021, 03:32 PM
Very nice. Love copper color. A nemesis species of mine. I've been trying to get close to drake for a few years. Wishing to get an image as nice as this.

Jack, this was in the top three on the list this spring and I'm delighted and blessed to have gotten some frames with him. There were two other males and a female as well. Fun day!

Thanks for the comments!

Hi Brian,

successful and full of effort. Congratulations.

Volkan, appreciate you!

Strong view of this cute little, bird, Brian. Ours our currently molting into this plumage prior to departing north for the summer.

No complaints from me. Exposure and details look great, and I especially appreciate the low angle.

Thanks Dorian, appreciate the comments!

Terrific shot, Brian. Great POV, lovely colors. Looks pretty close to full breeding plumage, but I don't usually get to see them in such attire.

Bill, yes I'd have to guess he's a week or two from the full get up. Hoping to get back up there in a week or so to try for the mating dance.

Thank you!

John Mack
04-13-2021, 04:54 PM
Now that is a low angle. Nice soft sunlight as well. Framing is right on.

Arthur Morris
04-22-2021, 05:40 AM
DATPA but the dirty face is a big negative for me. And I would prefer the BLACKs blacker as always.

with love, artie