PDA

View Full Version : Duck in the water

Desmond Chan
07-08-2008, 10:06 PM
D300, 70-300 @ 300mm f7 1/1000; ISO 400. No crop.

C&C are appreciated !

Lance Peters
07-08-2008, 11:53 PM
Hi Desmond - the file size is tiny - so makes it really hard to see whats going on here. I do like the diagonal direction of the bird and the ripples.

Post it at the maximum size as I think maybe the small file size is hurting it, I cant really see what the bird is on my screen.

:)

SeanKP
07-09-2008, 04:17 AM
I imagine that it really needs to be seen at full size to properly 'get' but it is an interesting use of negative space and the rule of thirds. I like it.

Alberto Oria
07-09-2008, 06:10 AM
Different, interesting

Gail Spitler
07-09-2008, 07:44 AM
Desmond
For what it's worth, this image just doesn't work for me. I want the bird to be larger I guess.
Gail

Katie Rupp
07-09-2008, 08:04 AM
Too much negative space for me but I like the ripples and the smooth water.

Julie Kenward
07-09-2008, 08:20 AM
I would like to see a bit more of the negative space cropped and I also think your lighting is really overblown. It's an interesting image - and I love the difference between the quiet water and the rippled - it's just a bit hard to make it out with the overexposure.

Gus Cobos
07-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Desmond,
The duck is too far away, and you have a lot of negative space. For the next one, waite until he comes in closer to you. also the water or overall background is blown out or over exposed...:D

Oscar Zangroniz
07-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Desmond, it is bit far on the frame. And also the file size is way too small.
Regards,

Alfred Forns
07-09-2008, 06:40 PM
I like your thinking Desmond !!!

Great points made I think tightening just a bit would help and nailing the in camera exposure. For these type images time of day is critical since you want the sun to be very low on the horizon. It will create the shadows you need in the ripples One image worth going after again !! Big Congrats !!!

Desmond Chan
07-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Hi all, thanks for your patience !

Sorry that it doesn't look like a bird photo. I have to confess: the duck is not the star here. So if you don't see much of the duck, or that there seems to be too much empty space, that's all intentional. Sorry ! :o

It was shot near sunset actually. But, between the water and the sun stands a dyke. It may be better, as Al - thanks for the encouragement BTW - suggested, to wait until the sun went even lower. But then the dyke will block the sunlight from reaching the duck. I do wish the ripples were a bit more visible. And I think I would check the brightness of the water, as Julie and Gus suggested.