PDA

View Full Version : Bufflehead

Bill Dix
03-20-2021, 10:44 AM
These guys have always been difficult for me. They are usually too far away, in tough light that blows out the whites. On this visit to Brigantine a week or so ago, Joanne and I came across two Buffie pairs, feeding at a spot where the tide was coming into the impoundment. Even as the car slowly pulled up, they swam some distance away, but seemed to be committed to that spot. So I found a place where I could sit with my back against a guardrail, behind lowered tripod, and waited while Joanne took a nap in the car. Eventually this male came close enough for a series of shots, and offered a nice HA on this one. One big problem at Brigantine is that it is impossible to get a low POV. This is about as good as I've been able to get. The image was perfectly exposed for the whites, but I did lift the dark tones on the head to bring out the colors.

D500, 500PF + 1.4 TC, ISO 640, 1/3200s @ f/8 manual.

Andreas Liedmann
03-20-2021, 02:16 PM
Hi Bill ... a good solid image .
Works well for me in composition and the duck does pop well from the water .
Really like the sharpness and the detail showing up in lights and mid tones , just think you lifted the shadows a wee bit too much . Looks quite flat in the lifted areas ...

Nice one ... TFS Andreas

Colin Driscoll
03-20-2021, 06:11 PM
A worthwhile image. I like the iridescent colors in the head and neck, and the bit of leg showing through the water.

dankearl
03-20-2021, 07:58 PM
Bill, sorry on this one... the whites are grey and you have zero color... as someone who sees and shoots them close up, unless the sun is shining the whites are not that hard to get and
you should concentrate on just proper exposure to get the color they have.

Jonathan Ashton
03-21-2021, 07:13 AM
I think it's a decent shot, I would suggest checking the white balance and going back to raw and selectively controlling the dark and white feathers, I suspect Andreas has a very good point regarding the darker plumage - do you have TK7 masks - it's just magic!!

Daniel Cadieux
03-21-2021, 02:22 PM
Your fieldcraft and observations paid off. Bummer about lack of lower angle possibilities - I guess you take what you can, especially birds that are traditionally difficult to get for you. Very calm waters could work there for reflection images. Worth revisiting the file to tweak the whites and blacks. Good head angle, and I love the water drops - especially the two larger ones n the back.

Bill Dix
03-26-2021, 09:09 AM
Thank you all for your comments. I'll go back and have another look at it.