PDA

View Full Version : Robin

dankearl
03-19-2021, 06:45 PM
New software to replace photoshop, Affinity Photo.
It's noise reduction is on par with Topaz so it solves a big problem...
D500, 500mm (300 w/ 1.7), f4.8, 1/4000, iso1000
50% crop.
Processed in Capture one and Affinity Photo.
robbpn.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=190365&stc=1&d=1616197474)

Jonathan Ashton
03-20-2021, 02:23 AM
Bold colours and a pleasing pose, the low angle gives real presence. I am looking and trying to decide what gives me slight reservation, I get the impression it lacks fine detail yet I do see fine detail. Could it be that it was noisy (your comment in the intro makes me biased bit I think perhaps it was?) and the noise has been subdued. Is contrast perhaps a little high making the colours possibly a little dense? It's one of those images where I say to myself less is more, maybe more subtle processing would help. You may well disagree entirely I appreciate you like bolder more saturated colours in general than we do over here. An interesting image I will be keen to see what your and other people's comments are.

Daniel Cadieux
03-20-2021, 08:43 AM
We had a bunch of over-wintering ones up here this year, but now the migrating ones are starting to show up. Spring is here! I love the subject, perfect head angle, low shooting angle, dewy vegetation. I do feel the BG competes for attention though - with my eye wandering across it quite a bit. I am glad you found an alternative for your processing software issues.

Paul Burdett
03-20-2021, 08:37 PM
Interesting. My first reaction was that it is over sharpened (especially in the head area) causing a somewhat harshness to the image. Based on your comments to other photos on this forum I appreciate that sharpness is crucial to you (as it should be), but agree with Jonathan here in that less is more. The rest of the bird looks good with nice colours and detail. I also think the BG competes with bird somewhat.