PDA

View Full Version : Red ant

D. Robert Franz
07-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Here is one of the images I turned in for my portfolio in the IFC Pro Tour of Nature Photography Contest.

Canon Eos 40D, EF180mm F3.5 Macro, 1.4x, 580 EX,, 430 EX for BG, RRS flash bracket, ISO 200, 1/250 @ F22

John Cooper
07-08-2008, 10:21 PM
A superb macro image Robert - love the magnification, detail and BG.
As the ant apparently wants to move forward I would like just a tad more space up front, but a splendid image as is!!!

Julie Kenward
07-09-2008, 08:49 AM
The lighting feels a little bit bright or "hot" but dang...that's one excellent macro image!!!

Jonathan Michael Ashton
07-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Superb, such detail, I like the composition even though it is tight in the frame. I think to offset it to the left (and possibly down a little too) would mean making the ant quite a bit smaller and thus lose some of the impact.
I must have a go at something like this. Are these tiny 2-3mm or quite big ants 4-5mm?
Jon

D. Robert Franz
07-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Sup Are these tiny 2-3mm or quite big ants 4-5mm?
Jon

I would say they were a bigger ant not sure of the size but I was over 2X life size here...

Steve Wheeler
07-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Very cool image... The flower (perch?) he's on adds a lot. I'm going back and forth on the more room thing. Would hate to loose any detail in the ant!

I've never done this, but would a polarizing filter have helped with the shinny spots on his body? I've read about using cross polarized light... Linear polarizing film across the flash heads and a circular polarizer on the lens. Pics I've seen of frogs it eliminated any shinny spots completely. Something on my list to try one day.

The IFC Pro Tour of Nature Photography Contest... Is that the one in South Texas where you're assigned a ranch and have a month? If so... That must be an intense month! Trying to get every image you can every long day (and night... I saw your raccoon image... VERY cool) for a month. It would be fun to here more about experience that if one were so inclined...;)

Steve

Kaushik Balakumar
07-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Lovely details. Like the way the two legs are stretched out trying to reach the next landing spot.

Steve Foss
07-09-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm with Julie on the hotness, but the comp easily overcomes what for me is a small nit in this case. The impression that the ant is exploring the outer reaches of space and is ready to leap is distinct and refreshing.

Mike Moats
07-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Hey Robert, awesome image, nice and sharp, with a great lloking BG. Well done.

Sharna Lee
07-09-2008, 08:33 PM
What an incredible image. I love that you can see the hairs of the ant.
I agree about wanting more space in front of him but at the risk of losing detail I'm affraid I'd have to say leave as is.

Sharna