PDA

View Full Version : Better Beamer Risky?

Michael Yessik
07-04-2008, 11:11 PM
I would like to know if anyone knows if it is possible to injure the bird's eye using a better beamer. I used one for the first time this evening. There is a woodpecker that comes to my feeder every evening when the light is quite low, and the feeder is in the trees. I have a D300, with a 200-400 VR, 1.4TC, set to max - about 60 ft away. I set the shutter speed to 1/200s, the SB600 flash at 0. I am showing this picture only to show the very bright eye, which made me nervous. I took about 6-8 shots, and each time the bird flew away, so it was at least scared by the flash.

Could the flash actually do damage? Is it typical for the bird to get frightened by the flash?

Axel Hildebrandt
07-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Very good point! I read an article by an ophthalmologist who said that normal flash use has no negative effect on bird's eyes except when used at night for birds such as owls. It could blind them for several minutes and increases the chance of injury/death if they fly into walls, trees, etc. I would also stay away from using flash when photographing nesting birds, which is probably not a good idea to begin with since they might abandon the nest when disturbed.

James Prudente
07-12-2008, 11:21 PM
The brightness (steel eye) of your birds eye can be reduced or eliminated by using an extension on the flash attachment to elevate it. Axel's advice is sound.

Jim

Simon Bennett
07-13-2008, 12:56 AM
Better Beamers can certainly do damage to your equipment: When I first got my Canon 500mm lens some months ago, I had the Better Beamer and flash on the camara mount. I was peering into the viewfinder when I smelt smoke. I looked up to see the camo cloth I had over the lens smoldering after being ignited by the sunlight concentrated by the BB. Luckily the only damage was some scorch marks on the lens hood.

Arthur Morris
07-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Better Beamers can certainly do damage to your equipment: When I first got my Canon 500mm lens some months ago, I had the Better Beamer and flash on the camara mount. I was peering into the viewfinder when I smelt smoke. I looked up to see the camo cloth I had over the lens smoldering after being ignited by the sunlight concentrated by the BB. Luckily the only damage was some scorch marks on the lens hood.

That's why they come with warning labels! As for the eyes of birds, I would doubt that they are harmed any more than the eyes of humans...

If I am doing anything backlit I always remove the fresnel screen, but if the sun is just right in the sky when you are using a long lens and somewhat behind you, the concentrated rays of the sun can hit somewhere on the lens barrel. The first time I experienced that I thought that the top of my hand was being bit by a wasp everytime I placed it atop the lens barrel. After a few "bites" I figured out what it was...

James Prudente
07-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Affectionately known as the "Better Burner":D

Jim

Axel Hildebrandt
07-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Affectionately known as the "Better Burner":D

Jim

Affectionately, right. :) I read a story about a burning car seat. :D

Raul Quinones
07-18-2008, 03:14 PM
I make a "pretty" hole in my 580EX brand new flash... the flash stills works.