PDA

View Full Version : From the Yard

Nonda Surratt
07-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Blue Jay, yard staples:) Hopefully back to normal participation here, I hope.
With hubby working late I've been able to use my 400 again, what a joy that lens is (usually glued to the 30D when he is around).

M111, 4005.6L@f5.6, ISO 400, 1/1250, -1/3

Sharna Lee
07-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Hey Nonda,
This image is just lovely. I love the colors here. The bg is just IT! Gorgeous!!
Eye contact and lighting are excellent here as well.
Keep em comming. And tell the man "get your own" hehehe ;)

Thanks for sharing.

Sharna

Alfred Forns
07-08-2008, 08:50 PM
All looks fine from my end Nonda !!! Totally agree with Sharna Particularly like the bg and overall feel !!! Big Congrats !!!

WIlliam Maroldo
07-08-2008, 11:06 PM
I like this image for other reasons other than the fact that it has great background with it's incredible colors and the bird's eye contact. What is intriguing to me is that there is an almost geometrical composition going on here. For example, the angle where the top of the center fence post is cut is echoed in the position of the birds left leg. The angle of the bird is also almost parallel with another fence post cut. Why do I think geometry is important? I think it is important in the composition of photographs and art as well. The shadows on the fence post , especially lower left center, need to go. ~onlybill

Lance Peters
07-08-2008, 11:41 PM
well done and from the backyard - im jealous.
:)

Gail Spitler
07-09-2008, 07:13 AM
I like the image a lot. I'm really impressed with how you are able to find wonderful subjects so close to home. It encourages me to get out there, like now.

It would have been nice if the jay had raised its crest, I think it looks a bit cowed maybe????

Well done. Love the overall cleanness of the image.

Gail

Katie Rupp
07-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Nonda, nice and sharp and I really like that you can see the backview details and you have such a good head angle.

Julie Kenward
07-09-2008, 08:27 AM
Good one, Nonda! Perfect exposure and great pose! Aren't bluejays just the bomb to photograph? They are just so darn beautiful even if they are loud and obnoxious!

Nonda Surratt
07-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks folks..The loud and obnoxious does make Jays the riot!

We are working to make the property as wildlife friendly as possible since often I don't have time to get anywhere else!

Oscar Zangroniz
07-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Great image Nonda. Excellent exposure, background, colors, etc etc.
Congrats

Gus Cobos
07-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Congratulation Nonda,
Great composition, capture and exposure. The details are sharp and your colors are very plesant. good eye contact and love the perch...:cool:

Bruce Gove
07-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Hey Nonda,

Great image - I really like the out of focus leaves in the bg. :) :) Only one thing I would do. In Lightroom, I've got two noise reduction sliders. One for color, the other for luminance. The luminance slider will make ALL the background noise go away. I don't use PS for this so don't know the equivalent.

Do know what you mean about not having time to post images regularly. I've had two of my four grandkids here for the last week. Plus, the nasty fires we've had here in Northern Calif. have made a mess out of our usually clean air - suffice to say that photographing birds has taken a back seat lately. I was able to make some nice images of the grandkids at beach on the 4th. I'll try and post some on the family & friends forum.

Take care Nonda and congrats again on the fine jay image., :D

Bruce

Harold Davis
07-09-2008, 04:55 PM
looking good!!! i looked at this one before work this morning and it didnt look as good then as it does now. dont ask me why!! not seeing very well i guess. do like the symmetry as bill suggested. and that bg is killer!!

Sid Overbey
07-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Beautiful capture Nonda. The birds colors are perfect and the bg is nice and subtle. I only wish the fence had a little more character to it (it looks too new). Still, it is a great shot.

Sid

Nonda Surratt
07-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks again folks!

Sid the fence isn't new hubby keeps it looking that way.

Bruce you have a real mess out there, take care!