PDA

View Full Version : 'Spotted' Love

Kaushik Balakumar
07-08-2008, 06:14 PM
http://www.pbase.com/bkaushik/image/99672113.jpg

Pretty difficult to photograph these swift little ladybird beetles as they keep moving even while they mate!

Nikon D300 + Nikkor 105mm f2.8 VR micro
f/22, 1/160, ISO640, tripod

C & C welcome...

Roman Kurywczak
07-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Kaushik,
You are doing extremely well with natural light and contolling the BG's while using huge DOF. This works very well all around for me! Might consider geting rid of the 2 white spines entering frame at top........don't remember if you are comfortable with that though.........so it doesn't matter. Very well done!

Ed Vatza
07-08-2008, 07:13 PM
You beat me to the punch, Kaushik. I have an image of two Red Milkweed Beetles in exactly the same position that I was planning to post but will now hold off for a bit. :D

Nice image. Very sharp. Great detail. And the background is excellent. Well done, Kaushik.

Kaushik Balakumar
07-08-2008, 07:47 PM
You beat me to the punch, Kaushik. I have an image of two Red Milkweed Beetles in exactly the same position that I was planning to post but will now hold off for a bit. :D

Nice image. Very sharp. Great detail. And the background is excellent. Well done, Kaushik.

:p:p:p
Ed, we'll take turns.
Lets discuss amongst us from next time as to who'd post first :D ;)

Steve Wheeler
07-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Wondeful image Kaushik... Detail, focus and DOF are superb. I really like the stalk of the plant on the left as an anchor. Must be a real PAIN to not only mate on the move, but dodge all those spines in the process!

Nicely done....

Steve

Julie Kenward
07-08-2008, 09:10 PM
This image made me giggle because there is a video on YouTube that pretty much shows these two in action and you can't help but laugh.

It's a winner of an image although I agree that those top couple of spines and even the one on the lefthand side would be nice if cloned away. Everything else about this image is "spot on" :D though. (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

John Cooper
07-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Well done Kaushik - nicely captured against a good BG. I like the plant-hairs but the clipped ones at the top could probably go.

Tony Kirkby
07-09-2008, 03:29 AM
Hi Kaushik

Very very nice. Not sure which I like the most, the stem or the beetles, either way they really balance out well together.
I looked at this a few times and find myself wishing for a very slight crop from the RHS.

Kaushik Balakumar
07-09-2008, 04:21 AM
Thank you all for your feedbacks.

Kaushik,
... Might consider geting rid of the 2 white spines entering frame at top........don't remember if you are comfortable with that though.........so it doesn't matter. Very well done!

Roman, I agree with u w.r.t the 2 spines at top of the frame. I don't mind cloning them out. Did'nt notice it the 1st time...

Gus Cobos
07-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Killer image and great action...:D:p Love it...:)

Mike Moats
07-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Hey Kaushik, very well done. great colors and details. Agree about cropping the two stray spines.

Sharna Lee
07-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Kaushik,
Totally cool image. I love the colors and the bg a lot.
You did well in capturing this moment.
Are you a subscriber to playbug magazine too? hehehe ;) couldn't resist!
I'll go with the others and say the spines at the top should be cloned out.

Sharna

Pramod Viswanath
07-21-2008, 12:10 AM
Beautiful image Kaushik! Good work!