PDA

View Full Version : Least Tern on Nest

Harold Davis
07-08-2008, 05:03 PM
another from lover's key state park.

D50, 70-300 at 270mm, f/7.1, 1/1600s, 0EV, ISO 200

comments and critiques are welcome and appreciated.

sorry lance, i couldnt do it out of respect for the mods and my friends here:)

Lance Peters
07-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Hey Harold - Love these guys - don't know if we get them over here.

love the pose and the open beak AND the eggs - looks good to me.

:)

Katie Rupp
07-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Hi Harold, this is an interesting pose; love the eggs---is that the wing that is horizontal on the frame?

Harold Davis
07-08-2008, 05:52 PM
hi katie, no, i think that's part of the oof stick in the bg. thanks for the comments.

WIlliam Maroldo
07-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Harold: I first read your title and thought "what? Least terns are too lazy in Texas to have nests, they just lay eggs on the bare ground. In Florida, a much more sophisticated bird apparently!" No-I think this bird just happened to lay her eggs around some stuff. In any case, although the head and parts of the bird that are in focus show amazing detail, the rest of the bird doesn't. I think that the depth of field being too shallow caused a major problem. Now this is only my opinion, and I'm sure other more knowledgeable members would take issue with this, but if the only out of focus area of the image was the background it would be a far better image. Even the twig and sand blocking a full view of the eggs would make more sense if it were clear what they were. Only my $.02

Alfred Forns
07-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Hi Harold Still trying to digest this one !!!

The one thing that bothers me most is the bg oof element Feel the bird is a bit larger in frame? and sure wish it was looking more this way !!! Do like the view of the eggs and overall sharpness !!! Not sure if you could have made it form another vantage point but sure would have like to have seen it !!!

Harold Davis
07-09-2008, 04:43 AM
i'm glad you guys dont like it!! i pretty much hate it myself. strongest element in the entire image is the eggs!!

thanks for all the comments. this one goes in the garbage!!!

Nonda Surratt
07-09-2008, 06:07 AM
Hum.. It early:-) Nice and sharp, head and part of back, the wig jutting out that is OOF with a purple tip really draws my eye?

Linda Dulak
07-09-2008, 07:16 AM
Harold: What really bothers me about this image is the implied harassment of a bird on a nest. The fact that she has raised up from the eggs and is clearly watching you is what I'm referring to. As photographers we have a responsibility to make sure that nests are not disturbed as it could result in abandonment.

Does any one else feel this way?

Linda

Oscar Zangroniz
07-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Mr. H:
For what is worth, I like it as presented. In answer to Linda's comments, I think the bird will just lay back down on her eggs. They are constantly getting up anyways to look for food and to turn the eggs every once in a while. I don't believe any harm came to these eggs by you being there.

Regards,

Harold Davis
07-09-2008, 03:14 PM
hi linda. i'll try to sway you, but i doubt i will succeed. this was taken on lovers key state park on memorial day weekend. dont know if you know where that is, but it's close to bonita springs/naples on the southwest of florida. at the time i took this, there was a rope separating the public from the nesting area. i was on the public side of the rope along with about 3000 other people who were enjoying the little slither of beach left for the public. oscar is right. no matter how close the nest is to people, those birds were constantly off the nest foraging over the water. i was very respectful of these guys and never spent too much time in one spot.

i appreciate your concern in join in your efforts to conserve their beauty. i would never do anything to harm any animal.

WIlliam Maroldo
07-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Harold: I'm not shocked about you disturbing the bird, having observed least terns coping with far worse than a photographer, probably on his stomach, ten yards away. They have far more dangerous things to deal with, and indeed they often leave their eggs unattended for quite long periods. I am shocked that you thought of throwing away the image. Well, I guess its alright now that we've seen it, but isn't this supposed to be a learning experience? Your post is far more educational than "perfect images" that don't really help to solve photographic problems that we all encounter from time to time. ~onlybill

Linda Dulak
07-10-2008, 06:33 AM
Harold: Remember, I said implied. I've seen people approach birds on nests to get a look or a photograph just like one they saw someplace before. They don't have the long lens and therefore approach very close. Glad to hear how you took the photo and the situation.

See -- you succeeded!

Linda

Norm Dulak
07-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Photographs of nesting birds raise serious ethical concerns among many nature lovers. In fact, a major international bird forum will not accept photographs of nesting birds, whether for their monthly bird photography competitions or for any other reason. You might find this major forum and its ethical considerations interesting, and I invite you to visit them at http://www.birdforum.net/. Where there is a possibility of disturbing nature, rather than simply observing it in a safe way, extreme caution and consideration for the subject should be the operative rule.