AJ Kunkel
07-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Sony A700, 16mm (24mm), 1/60, f/3.5, ISO 400

http://tkunkel.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p583092518-4.jpg

http://tkunkel.zenfolio.com/img/v3/p718036054-4.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
07-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Hi AJ,
I love storms and severe weather of all types.......this is no exception. The left side f the frame with all the black is a bit heavy and i figured you had a bit more detail in the midtones. I did a levels adjustment of the middle slider to 1.21. Then cropped substantially off the left.......a bit off the top..........and a small amount off the bottom. This now makes a pretty pleasing comp........and keeps the dama of the lightning. Be careful out there!
PS Playing with the sliders n levels to fine tune to your liking. I was more interested in the crop

AJ Kunkel
07-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Roman,

I like what you have done! The crop and bump in the midtones does make a more dramatic image.

Douglas Bolt
07-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Nice image.

Here's the results of a Screen blending at 36% opacity (couldn't see much difference from Levels & center slider +1.21) and a little increased saturation in the reds and yellows.

Roman Kurywczak
07-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Nice image.

Here's the results of a Screen blending at 36% opacity (couldn't see much difference from Levels & center slider +1.21) and a little increased saturation in the reds and yellows.

Hi Doug,
The diffrence wasn't in the lightness....as much more of an emphasis was placed on he crop. I tried the screen blend............ with similar results.....look at all the noise introduced in the water! At even larger sizes.........this becomes even more evident. I felt that AJ wanted a more dark moody image. I hope he chimes back in!

AJ Kunkel
07-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Yes, Dark and moody is what I was after. I altered my original with a different crop and brought up the midtones. I am VERY happy these results. Thanks for the input :)

Robert Amoruso
07-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Nice work AJ. I like the recrops and reworks - really strengthen an already strong image.

AJ, did you use a lightening trigger?

Paul Marcellini
07-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Wow, hard to keep up. I liked it as is originally and don't see much change here, for better or worse. I do like Roman's crop though. Lightning is great fun to shoot, and with results like this, definitely worth the extra effort it may take.

AJ Kunkel
07-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Nice work AJ. I like the recrops and reworks - really strengthen an already strong image.

AJ, did you use a lightening trigger?

This was my first attempt at lightening, so no trigger was used. With this storm coming over the ocean, it was easy to see were the flashes would be. Out of about 8-10 attempts with 2-3 shot bursts, this is the only image that I was satisfied with. A remote (left at home:( ) would have allowed for another 2 shots to be acquired. Timing a jab at the shutter button when lightening flashed is a recipe for motion. My Sony's SSS may have saved the day for this one image.

Thanks to everyone for helping improve this image:)

Roman Kurywczak
07-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Hey AJ,
The re-work is definitely better now.......but for the future leave up the original......and just post the re-work in the reply>go advance...... Everyone learns that way! Next time try and do 30 second exposures instead of short bursts........you wont blow out exposures at night..........and you may catch 2 or 3 flashes. with a cable release...........you may catch a bunch!........and in all likelyhood....not blow out the exposure as the lightning hits in different areas!

AJ Kunkel
07-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Hey AJ,
The re-work is definitely better now.......but for the future leave up the original......and just post the re-work in the reply>go advance...... Everyone learns that way! Next time try and do 30 second exposures instead of short bursts........you wont blow out exposures at night..........and you may catch 2 or 3 flashes. with a cable release...........you may catch a bunch!........and in all likelyhood....not blow out the exposure as the lightning hits in different areas!
Will do...thanks for the suggestion.

Gayle Clement
07-09-2008, 09:52 PM
I love the posting and wish I could have seen the original also. The rich, moody purples in the photo are awesome. I love the composition.