PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Bluebird

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
07-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Just returned from Wyoming. Really didn't find the number and species of birds I usually find in north central Wyoming. They had a very late spring and I think the birds were on nest. Anyway I did see quite a few Mountain Bluebirds and this is one of them. Nikon D300, Nikkor 500mm lens with 1.4 extender. Shot at f/6.3 @ 1/640, ISO-500, meter - pattern. Hope you like this one. I appreciate any comments you might want to share.

Ramon M. Casares
07-08-2008, 04:58 PM
I like the light and details, pose and eye contact, altough the background looks funny, as if you'd digitally blur it or something. Thanks for posting and sharing!

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
07-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Ramon,
You are absolutely right on as to the digital blur. The BG was very patchy with bright sky coming through the BG trees. so I painted the bright spot out and blurred the result. Guess it didn't work as well as I hoped. Thanks so much for your thoughts.
Mac

Raymond Barlow
07-08-2008, 05:52 PM
nice looking bird, too bad about the bg.

Doug Brown
07-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Hi Wheeler! I'd be interested in seeing a JPG of the original RAW file. Maybe the PS guys will be able to give you some ideas on how to improve your image.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-08-2008, 06:33 PM
I like the soft light and details. I wish for a bit more head turn and you could try a more subtle blurring technique, for example just despeckle the BG or run NR on it.

Lance Peters
07-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Like the bird and the pose.
Agree with the rest of the comments - seems to be a halo around the beak area.

:)

Ramon M. Casares
07-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the answer, it is much apreciated! And the Despeckle option it is not a bad advice at all, but I would go with less blur so it doesn't loose "real-ness" :) My english is so bad.. sorry for that.