PDA

View Full Version : Pygmy Nuthatch

Vaughn Larsen
02-05-2021, 11:41 AM
Pygmy Nuthatch In Jefferson county Colorado last April. A thunderstorm was rolling in over the mountains into the foothills dropping the light levels to near sunset conditions.
Cropped to remove branch and pine needles in corners. WB in ACR, Topaz Denoise.

Nikon D500 500mm f/4 with 1.4 Tleconverter
1/640 second ISO 2500, f7.1 exp comp -.3

Jonathan Ashton
02-05-2021, 12:09 PM
I like the image but i think the sharpening is a little OTT.

Arthur Morris
02-05-2021, 12:21 PM
Hey Vaughn, Welcome to BPN. This is a very fine image of a difficult subject. It looks super-sharp to me without looking over-sharpened. The image design is perfect and I love the perch and the BKGR. Not to mention the perfect pose and head angle.

Keep em's coming!

with love, artie

ps: do you know Brian Sumo?

Ian Cassell
02-05-2021, 12:30 PM
Lovely image of a beautiful subject. Agree that it might be a tad oversharpened.

kevin Hice
02-05-2021, 01:59 PM
Yes lovely image and the colors on the bird go really well with the background colors. That was my first impression was the colors then looking at the sharpness. Over cooked the sharpening. TFS

Dorian Anderson
02-05-2021, 05:59 PM
Hi Vaughn

Great view of this little bird. I see/hear them every time I go birding in Coastal California but have never managed a decent photo.

I'm gonna join the over-sharpened camp on this one. The bird and perch both look 'crunchy' to use a term that is thrown around a lot on this board.

I'd also like to the the crop loosened, particularly left and below.

Vaughn Larsen
02-05-2021, 08:18 PM
Thanks all for the feedback.

Yes lovely image and the colors on the bird go really well with the background colors. That was my first impression was the colors then looking at the sharpness. Over cooked the sharpening. TFS
Kevin much appreciate the comments. will have to look at LR options around sharpening.

Hi Vaughn
Great view of this little bird. I see/hear them every time I go birding in Coastal California but have never managed a decent photo.

I'm gonna join the over-sharpened camp on this one. The bird and perch both look 'crunchy' to use a term that is thrown around a lot on this board.

Thanks Dorian - hope you get a shot at one this year. They seem to be very active right before storms here in Colorado.

Lovely image of a beautiful subject. Agree that it might be a tad oversharpened.

Thanks Ian - feedback always welcome.

I like the image but i think the sharpening is a little OTT.

I'd also like to the the crop loosened, particularly left and below.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jonathan - Interesting crop idea, will have to explore, not a lot there but may be able to PS some in, subject was about 9 feet away so pretty full frame even with it's little size.

Vaughn Larsen
02-05-2021, 08:21 PM
Hey Vaughn, Welcome to BPN. This is a very fine image of a difficult subject. It looks super-sharp to me without looking over-sharpened. The image design is perfect and I love the perch and the BKGR. Not to mention the perfect pose and head angle.

Keep em's coming!

with love, artie

ps: do you know Brian Sumo?

Feedback much appreciated. And yes pure happenstance one afternoon stalking some Green-winged Teals I met Brian. Have been following his work ever since.

Brian Sump
02-05-2021, 10:49 PM
Vaughn, the way the color of the subject and background tie in is marvelous. Do you remember what the bkg was?

Super pose and love the evergreen perch. A little sorting on the sharpening and you have a winner!

Andreas Liedmann
02-06-2021, 06:40 AM
Hi Vaughn ... a real cracker !!!!
Would re work from scratch ....
For me , image is too dark , too contrasty .... some artifacts in the perch . The blacks are quite heavy , for me the biggest issue . Shaping is overdone as well .

TFS Andreas

Vaughn Larsen
02-06-2021, 11:34 AM
Vaughn, the way the color of the subject and background tie in is marvelous. Do you remember what the bkg was?

Super pose and love the evergreen perch. A little sorting on the sharpening and you have a winner!

Thanks Brian. I believe the green in the background is Ponderosa Pine and the Turquoise is likely Blue Spruce. This tree was on the top of a hill so background dropped off and then across a valley was more trees.

Vaughn Larsen
02-07-2021, 08:26 PM
Hi Vaughn ... a real cracker !!!!
Would re work from scratch ....
For me , image is too dark , too contrasty .... some artifacts in the perch . The blacks are quite heavy , for me the biggest issue . Shaping is overdone as well .

TFS Andreas

Andreas thanks for the feedback, your are really stretching me out of my old ways in a good way.

Bill Dix
02-09-2021, 10:52 AM
Amazing shot of this tough subject. The lovely background works nicely with the bird's colors. Love the great detail; for me it is only a tiny bit over-sharp. Might lift the darks a little. Too large in the frame for me, but if he was that close to you you didn't have a lot of choice.