PDA

View Full Version : Red-bellied Woodpecker - Rare For Us!

Daniel Cadieux
02-04-2021, 10:00 AM
I know this species is very common for many of you that are south of me, but believe it or not this is a rare species for me up here - just north of its usual upper-northern range limit. This male has been coming down to feed on a platform feeder found in a public space (but going straight to the feeder), and it is tough to setup unless you are arriving before anyone else (which is what I did, ha!). Some folks are odd here as if you step up to setup, even in a lull in action, you may get berated for disturbing the birds. Sigh:bugeyed:. So before sunrise I headed out, setup a perch I had previously found for this occasion, and spread a bit of peanut butter in strategic spots. Bingo! very standard "woodpecker on a tree" image, but my first image of a red-bellied so I'll take it!

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1600s., f/5.6, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, FF.

Jonathan Ashton
02-04-2021, 12:10 PM
Super shot Dan, I suspect there were quite a few that were not sharp but this one is super,,,,, hey where's his tongue:bg3:

Daniel Cadieux
02-04-2021, 12:34 PM
Super shot Dan, I suspect there were quite a few that were not sharp but this one is super,,,,, hey where's his tongue:bg3:

Thanks! Oops, typo on the SS. It was 1/1600s, and not 1/160s....so they were pretty much all sharp:t3 Fixed in the caption :-)

Bill Dix
02-04-2021, 02:02 PM
Classic WP pose, complete with tail prop, great HA and a hint of his red belly. Lovely light. I'll trade you three Red-bellies for a Redpoll and an Evening Grosbeak. The Red-bellies spend a lot of time on my feeders picking through all the nuts and seeds until they find just the right one, scattering the rest on the ground for the squirrels.

William Daub
02-04-2021, 03:10 PM
Look at this beauty! :2eyes2: (https://howto-where.com/how-long-do-parakeets-live/) :S3:

Randy Stout
02-04-2021, 03:17 PM
Daniel:

Yes, pretty common down here in Michigan, but still a good looking bird, well rendered here. Nice colors, light. I could see a version with 10-15% cropped off the top, just personal taste.

Cheers

Randy

annmpacheco
02-04-2021, 05:40 PM
Glad you got this after your early morning efforts, colors and Bg look good for this classic pose!

Brian Sump
02-04-2021, 07:11 PM
Daniel, a lovely capture.

Digging the sort of flame effect in the bkg from the bottom up. Great light angle and nicely processed in terms of colors and details.

I would consider maybe cropping down from top right a little perhaps. A winner none-the-less.

dankearl
02-04-2021, 07:37 PM
About perfect light, Perch and BG... is this 2 x 3? if so I would leave alone, I crop standard crops always... if not, I would take some off the top.

kevin Hice
02-04-2021, 08:17 PM
Fantastic Shot Daniel and love the story. Great colors and detail and love the background colors. TFS

David Roach
02-05-2021, 07:34 AM
Standard my... Well you know... Yes very common here, but this frame is special. The light, the perch, the BG and the composition (FF). TFS

ps
That eye...

Dorian Anderson
02-05-2021, 06:17 PM
Beautiful result! I echo all the positives. However, I agree with Dan about the crop; it's a bit vacuous as is. I'd lose some of it as he mentioned.

arash_hazeghi
02-05-2021, 11:20 PM
pretty shot Dan, love the colors and the BG light was excellent

TFS

Andreas Liedmann
02-06-2021, 06:37 AM
Hi Daniel .... simply lovely shot .
TFS Andreas