PDA

View Full Version : Feather On The Beach

Mike Moats
07-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Whenever I'm on a sandy beach I always look for interestring feather comps. This was shot on the Oregon coast.

Fuji S5, Sigma 180, Tripod, f/32

Roman Kurywczak
07-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Hey Mike,
I had a while to think about this one as worked my way up.........you know I love the razor sharpness of f32.......while I love the copper color of the feather spine/vein..........the darker area keeps drawing my eye........and part of me is wanting a bit more of the sand withut that whole darker side. Maybe it's a balance thing??? more sand and a little less dark???
Everything else is right on!

Ed Vatza
07-08-2008, 07:21 PM
I think this is a beautiful image, Mike. And yet I am also caught up in the darker area. It doesn't quite look right to me. Yet when I try to block it out, the image loses something important and isn't nearly as good. So I guess its got to be there for the contrast to make the image work! ;):D

Mike, I really enjoy you image compositions. You continue to see things others (like me) pass by. I am learning to look much more carefully from just studying your images. And that's a good thing!

Kaushik Balakumar
07-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Mike, I really enjoy you image compositions. You continue to see things others (like me) pass by. I am learning to look much more carefully from just studying your images. And that's a good thing!

I say this all time... :)

Steve Wheeler
07-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Another superb image made from the simplest of things. I was actually thinking about your images today Mike during my drive home and thought to myself... I just need to go out in the back yard and sit... LOOOOOKKKK around at the details... Really try to SEE what's there.

I love the contrast of the darker UL corner balanced with the light sand in the LR. Details and composition are great as always.

Steve

John Cooper
07-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Another interesting pattern & texture image Mike - I echo the sentiment re darker area.

Tony Kirkby
07-09-2008, 03:12 AM
Hi Mike
I really like the gritty sand contrasting with the flow of the soft lines of the feather. I don't mind the dark area but I rotated this to have the dark area at top right and this works better for me.

Tony

Jonathan Michael Ashton
07-09-2008, 09:01 AM
I like it very much, I have to admit I often look at things like this only to think there is a shot there somewhere - but I can't quite see it. Well you certainly saw it and I can see it when it is framed and beautifully focussed. I reckon I must be going around with my eyes half open. I must remember to think about contrast and texture. I am looking forward to your next submission Mike.
Jon

Steve Foss
07-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Quite sweet. Overall sharpness, exposure, color spot on. And I like the point-counterpoint of the dark ULC separated from the lighter LRC by the feather spine.

The portion of feather in the LRC that curls back through the comp adds a piquancy I really enjoy, and the narrow strip of sand delivers what I believe is an important sense of place, which also echoes the sand grains embedded in the feather.

Also, kudos on achieving excellent shadow detail, particularly in the sand seen through the separations in the feather.

Does it get much better than this image? Nope.

Gus Cobos
07-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Love the texture and copper tones Mike. The feather sharpness and details is fantastic...:cool: