PDA

View Full Version : Black-capped Chickadee

Jim Crosswell
01-28-2021, 07:03 PM
This was taken a couple of weeks ago at my set-up in a local park. I'm standing in the open which makes it easier to see the birds coming in which I enjoy better than being in a hide. I hope you enjoy the image.

Nikon D500
Sigma 150-600 @500mm
ISO 1250
f8
1/320s
Tripod
Manual Mode

Dorian Anderson
01-28-2021, 08:40 PM
Nice look at this little guy, Jim. Pose and eye contact are very nice, and I really like the detail on the tiny feet. The thorny perch adds a nice touch of color to an otherwise winter frame.
Composition looks great. My only suggestion would be to see if you can knock out some of the subtle blue hues where the white and black feathers intersect. I'm not sure it that even
doable, so feel to tell me to 'pound sand' as my dad would say.

David Roach
01-28-2021, 09:17 PM
Framing, EXP, details and perch all spot on for me. TFS

ps
That eye...

kevin Hice
01-28-2021, 10:29 PM
Nice image Jim love the red contrast of the bramble with the thorns. Details look fine. That gray background goes well with the bird.

Brian Sump
01-28-2021, 11:15 PM
Jim, I'm a big Chickadee fan. Simple and mildly common but cuter than day...

I really like everything here - the pose featuring the face and getting both feet sharp is a great start. But the red color in the bare perch makes all the difference. Dramatic bkg adds too.

Only thing I might offer is to scrub out that brighter nub below on the branch (scrub a nub nub I guess haha). Would just let the brighter tones in the subject stand out. Oh, and at first glance I did notice the touch of blue also.

Comp is great, overall very effective from my view!

Jonathan Ashton
01-29-2021, 03:56 AM
Lovely shot Jim, I like the image as portrayed, I guess he is on a blackberry/briar of some sort. Colours look spot on, in UK we have a somewhat similar looking little bird - the Willow tit.
if you want a picky comment I would suggest looking at the far RHS and avoid cropping through the thorn.

Jim Crosswell
02-01-2021, 07:03 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. I agree with the nub removal and it’s an easy fix. I didn’t notice that blue area and that will be something I have to watch for when processing future images. The Chickadees are fun to get so I’m sure I will get some more opportunities.