PDA

View Full Version : young male hoodie

annmpacheco
01-26-2021, 09:10 PM
This is a juvenile male hooded merganser preening in a lovely wash of orange water, to match the eyes! I really like the pronounced color change in the crest as the browns are lightening to white. Took this last week and prepared for my return a few days later but was iced out. Now the ducks are too far away for shootin, praying on a heat wave!

R5
840mm

ISO 1000
1/4000

kevin Hice
01-26-2021, 09:25 PM
Great image and I think the color in the water really makes this pop. Preening showing some action helps too. TFS

dankearl
01-26-2021, 09:51 PM
This is nice,, they are pretty fun to watch at this age. Water, light and exposure looks great.
It could be sharper in web presentation, I bet the RAW is....

Brian Sump
01-26-2021, 11:37 PM
Ann, love the pose. Great light evenly across the focal plane.

The orange pop in the eye and the slight iridescence in the wing feathers tie in nicely with the overall color palette.

I could see a version with the subject a bit higher in the frame and agree to maybe try one a bit sharper if possible.

TFS, like this one a lot!

Dorian Anderson
01-27-2021, 09:55 AM
Lovely lighting and pose, Ann. The blended brown tones are really nice. I particularly like how the water detail falls off behind the bird.

Agree that the image could be a tad bit sharper, but the exposure and details look really good even as it.

Jonathan Ashton
01-27-2021, 12:53 PM
Beautiful image Anne but I am sorry I have to agree it looks a little soft, does more sharpening resolve or is it a little soft, the crest looks good to me but the eye soft WDYT??

annmpacheco
01-27-2021, 02:28 PM
Beautiful image Anne but I am sorry I have to agree it looks a little soft, does more sharpening resolve or is it a little soft, the crest looks good to me but the eye soft WDYT??

Hi Jon,

I do agree that the head looks soft etc, ... The RAW is tack sharp, i was disappointed when i saw the jpeg, must be something I am doing incorrectly... Thanks for your comment

annmpacheco
01-27-2021, 02:31 PM
Hi Jon,

I do agree that the head looks soft etc, ... The RAW is tack sharp, i was disappointed when i saw the jpeg, must be something I am doing incorrectly... Thanks for your comment

Here is a repost w more sharpening

gail bisson
01-27-2021, 04:00 PM
Repost look way better Ann. looks like we can cancel the FT!!:bg3:

Brian Sump
01-27-2021, 04:32 PM
RP looks sweet!

Andreas Liedmann
01-28-2021, 12:50 PM
Hi Ann ... stunning frame .
Love the overall image .
sweet preening behavior captured and the RP is an improvement !!!
Nice overall warm colors .
Great job

TFS Andreas