PDA

View Full Version : Brown Pelican

Jeff Parker
01-09-2008, 09:04 PM
EOS 40D, 600mm F4 IS, 1/2000sec f/6.3, ISO 400, AI Servo AF
comments welcome

Yves Matteau
01-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Nice essay but i found the sea appear to me too dark blue. But i don`t know how to correct that if you have to do so.

Ed Prete
01-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Jeff, welcome aboard, you will likely learn a ton from mix of experience here on the site.

There are a few things I might suggest, some of it field related, some processing.

The pelican is flying away from you, which while might be tempting to photograph, the action isn't the most favorable angle. Try to wait for a bird to approach you as opposed to trying to photograph something already there that might get spooked.

The bird is filling the frame a bit too much, not sure if that is your cropping or your composition. The saturation looks to be a bit heavy handed and/or the image a little too contrasty. I do like the strong blues though, but would also like to see a lower angle approached if possible.

Looking forward to seeing more, I like Brown Pelicans.

I hope my comments have helped.

Alfred Forns
01-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Ed is right on with suggestions and fully agree !!!! Would only add to try getting the bird on the full up stroke !!! You got a good light angle !!!! Looking forward to more !!!!

Dave Holland
01-10-2008, 12:40 AM
Great sharpness, and I like the rich blue of the water. On the thumbnail I got the feel that there wasn't enough 'room' for the bird to fly into, to the right. I guess a habit we have of offering room in the direction of the line of movement. The vertical crop seems to not fit the line of action.

I sure like the great contrast in the midtones -- it looks really good on my moniter.

Dave