PDA

View Full Version : Pew Pew

Brian Sump
01-22-2021, 05:06 PM

Western gunslinger pose by this Common Goldeneye Drake. I believe the Barrow's is more known for it's "Nike Swoosh" white patch on the cheek versus the circular one here. Notice how dingy the patch is on this guy!?

I am sort of indifferent on the wave patterns below although they kind of bring an artsy touch. Curious your thoughts.

Canon R5
840mm
Handheld
ISO 2000
f6.3
1/5000

LR and PS, DN, Not much in the way of trickery other than a sliver of canvas at top. ~ 20% crop.

Special thanks to Andreas for some great mask tips!

David Roach
01-23-2021, 08:17 AM
Love the iridescence and the tonal range in this one. The compression wave on the water from the downstroke is super cool... Only very minor nit is wish to be a little higher in frame(or ad a little at the bottom). I love the water and this superb canvas as is. TFS

ps
That one water drop under wing...

Arthur Morris
01-23-2021, 11:43 AM
Killer downstroke. Love the water. Do you have more room below the bird in the original? If yes, I would go with David's suggestion of more room below and less above. The water down under is more interesting. Bad luck on the dirty facial oval ... With love, a

Andreas Liedmann
01-23-2021, 03:24 PM
Hi Brian .... killer flight pose !!!
Overall does look great in terms of color and tone .... do see potential though , you know where :t3:bg3:.
I am more than happy with the " artsy looking water " .... I like it .
Good to see you do not remove water drops !!!!
I love the dirty cheek .... no bad luck .
Regarding the comp ... would also try out the crop suggestion from David and Artie .

Cool image , enjoyed watching .

TFS Andreas

Volkan Akgul
01-23-2021, 04:35 PM
hi Brian,

the clarity and details are gorgeous. I enjoyed it very much, I even got depressed :) congratulations

dankearl
01-23-2021, 05:18 PM
My only critique is the dirty face which you can't control but does not show the species at it best..
More at the bottom for me also if you have.

Brian Sump
01-23-2021, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the kind words fellas!

Great thoughts on the crop - yes I have more below. Apparently I was too concerned about the wake overwhelming the frame that I undercut it.

Blessings, see you on the next!

John Mack
01-24-2021, 09:44 AM
Love that sheen on the head. Nice that the wing tips slightly curl up. The painterly water is quite nice.

Bill Dix
01-24-2021, 02:24 PM
Killer flight frame with great wing position. I like the artistic water; wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of it.

Paul Burdett
01-24-2021, 04:08 PM
Should have washed its face:bg3:. Seriously, a really nice image...no nits from me. Cheers.

Daniel Cadieux
01-24-2021, 07:35 PM
Yes, more below as the water is very neat down there! Perfect flight pose. I suppose that goldeneye could have used a little scrubbing. I love that drop under the wing.

Mike Poole
01-24-2021, 10:39 PM
Great pose and I like the texture I the water. The image looks just a little flat to me

Mike

Brian Sump
01-24-2021, 11:06 PM
Love that sheen on the head. Nice that the wing tips slightly curl up. The painterly water is quite nice.

John, thank you as always!

Killer flight frame with great wing position. I like the artistic water; wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of it.

Bill, many thanks. Nice to hear you like the artistic effect below too. I'll definitely alter the crop in the final.

Should have washed its face:bg3:. Seriously, a really nice image...no nits from me. Cheers.

Paul, stoked to hear that my friend. Haha, no doubt. I'll ask if he minds if I do a little bath time before he gets up next time :t3

Yes, more below as the water is very neat down there! Perfect flight pose. I suppose that goldeneye could have used a little scrubbing. I love that drop under the wing.

Daniel, appreciate the comments. Well received and yeah, I wonder what this mischievous fella was getting into with the dirty cheeks!

Great pose and I like the texture I the water. The image looks just a little flat to me

Mike

Thanks Mike. I hear ya - totally changed my processing a week or two ago and still getting acclimated. Historically I'm a high contrast guy; broadening my horizons here. I can see a version with a maybe a little levels mid adjust or something too.

Jim Crosswell
01-25-2021, 06:44 PM
I like the sharpness, details, exposure and wing position. The water below the duck is great and I wouldn't hesitate to show more of it. Excellent as usual Brian.

Brian Sump
01-26-2021, 12:56 PM
I like the sharpness, details, exposure and wing position. The water below the duck is great and I wouldn't hesitate to show more of it. Excellent as usual Brian.

Very thankful for your gracious words Jim!