PDA

View Full Version : American Oystercatcher

Joseph Przybyla
01-18-2021, 11:55 AM
I captured this image a few years ago at Ft. Desoto County Park in Pinellas County, Florida. When I see a bird like this I wonder why so many colors, why not just brown, gray or black? Why is the bill orange, the eye yellow with a orange eye ring? I don't know. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED, camera and lens supported by a monopod
1/1250 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +1 ISO 900 Auto WB, image captured at 400mm (600mm 35mm equivalent)
Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2021 and Neat Image for noise reduction when needed
Cropped for composition and presentation

David Roach
01-19-2021, 04:24 AM
Love the soft light, framing, details and of coarse that eye. TFS

Randy Stout
01-19-2021, 07:19 AM
Joe:

I like the pose, birds angle in the frame, shooting angle.

You could try a version with a bit more contrast on the bird, and perhaps a small crop up from the bottom. The reflection is weak enough that it doesn't add, and the brightness a bit distracting.

My understanding is that most bright plumage features are for sexual attraction. The risk from being so visible to predators is countered by increased reproductive opportunities.

Cheers

Randy

Joseph Przybyla
01-19-2021, 08:36 AM
Joe:

I like the pose, birds angle in the frame, shooting angle.

You could try a version with a bit more contrast on the bird, and perhaps a small crop up from the bottom. The reflection is weak enough that it doesn't add, and the brightness a bit distracting.

My understanding is that most bright plumage features are for sexual attraction. The risk from being so visible to predators is countered by increased reproductive opportunities.

Cheers

Randy

Hi Randy, thank you for viewing, commenting and suggesting a way to improve the image. Here is a edit with the contrast on the bird raised. I think it looks better. WDYT?

Randy Stout
01-19-2021, 09:23 AM
Yes, I like it.

Cheers

Randy