PDA

View Full Version : Evening Grosbeak

gail bisson
01-13-2021, 08:36 PM
Another backyard bird.
This is the end of the same perch as my chickadee image.
Canon 1 Dx3 600mm v.3
ISO 2500 F 5.6 SS 1/1600
Cropped to 60% FF.
Nothing added or cloned.
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

dankearl
01-13-2021, 10:46 PM
Bird, perch and comp are nice. Drops are not sharp or large enough to work for me as a perfect snow or rain image and I know you want perfection.

arash_hazeghi
01-14-2021, 02:06 AM
nice one Gail, in a perfect world the he would have perched looking to the left hand side. I feel the other branch is blocking it. moss and snow are nice

TFS

Jonathan Ashton
01-14-2021, 04:32 AM
I like the composition, the perch and bird appear to be a little stark if that is the correct word. I wonder if it is contrast - looking at the lichens there are some very bight areas and also very dark, I am sure they were bright and dark in the original scene but was the contrast between the two really so abrupt? I feel a little tonal expression would help considerably.

Daniel Cadieux
01-14-2021, 09:28 AM
I'm OK with both the precipitation, and the comp as posted. I do wish for a better head turn, and I found the subject too "green/yellow". I added selectively fiddled with the color-balance on the subject (added magenta, blue). Still have not had time to properly setup these guys over here - this has me itching to go over there!!

Andreas Liedmann
01-14-2021, 03:30 PM
Hi Gail nice one . I like the winter feel with the snow
WB looks completely off ... to me . But this is for sure personal taste .... you might like it that way .
Here is a alternative ... might not fit your taste .

TFS Andreas

David Roach
01-14-2021, 04:14 PM
Love the framing, perch(lichens always good for me), BG, snow and details. TFS

gail bisson
01-14-2021, 04:15 PM
Andreas, Your repost looks great. How did you get the WB correct?
Gail

Mike Poole
01-14-2021, 04:42 PM
I like little simple things in shots l ike the triangle of the bill pointing towards the triangle in the perch.

Interesting thoughts on Andreas' RP with the WB change - I was fine with your version but if the RP is more realistic, is that correct? An ongoing debate across many threads previously

Mike

William Dickson
01-14-2021, 05:56 PM
Well Gail....for me the OP is best......I think you got it spot on...Fab detail, perch and BG....It is good to get alternative views of this frame.....I suppose its just a difference of opinion, and how we see it on our monitors, but here on the iMac...A Yes for the OP...

Will

Brian Sump
01-14-2021, 06:04 PM
Gail, for me my favorite composition of your EGB's I think.

At initial glance I couldn't find fault in it and for some reason, the framing with the perch is just really attractive to me. The rich green bkg enhances the frame.

WB wise, I wasn't stricken with initial doubt by yours and maybe seeing it in an editor I would have altered it slightly but .... yeah a couple different perspectives are nice to see. I think you said these guys in low light were challenging you on WB and I totally don't blame ya.

Andreas Liedmann
01-15-2021, 06:18 AM
Andreas, Your repost looks great. How did you get the WB correct?
Gail

Just a quick curves adjustment layer ( color blend mode ) , adjusting the HL /MT /SH ... as a starting point , while controlling the color values with a eyedropper . From there you could go warmer or even cooler without a cast !!!
Burned the lichen with multiply blend mode on a adjustment layer , painted in through a lights mask from the red channel .

Very simple and done in ... well two minutes .

John Mack
01-15-2021, 02:11 PM
Love that perch. Framing is right on. Like the light snow as well.

Kurt Bowman
01-15-2021, 03:35 PM
I also like the comp on this Gail. I like the repost with the new WB adjustments as well.