PDA

View Full Version : Robin (Erithacus rubecula)

Jonathan Ashton
01-09-2021, 01:26 PM
Taken from my back garden hide
Olympus E-M1X
Focal length in 35 mm film : 601.0mm
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
Exposure compensation : +1.0 EV
ISO Sensitivity : 1600
Shutter : 1/320 sec
Aperture : F5.6

ACR/TopazDNAI/PSCC

Steve Kaluski
01-09-2021, 02:44 PM
Super little Red breast Jon, simplicity is key here IMHO, the light conveys the cold mornings we are experiencing. Love the perch, is this from the pool?

Sent you a thought, could be barking up the wrong tree... :bg3:

TFS
Steve

Krishna Prasad kotti
01-09-2021, 02:46 PM
Nice Soft light works really well.

I like the foreground with Frost as well.

TFS

Kurt Bowman
01-09-2021, 03:22 PM
Love the frosty perch! The techs are great on this, but I do find myself wishing for a bit more dynamic pose or more head turn.

Brian Sump
01-09-2021, 06:35 PM
Jon, overall a nice frame. Compositionally I dig it and love the frost on the ground.

I know it's low light but it's lacking just a touch of punch for me. I wonder if a smidge of warmth and/or exp and a touch of spot sat would help it.

A little vague I know, but has the makings to be a strong frame of a simple but pretty subject.

David Roach
01-09-2021, 11:34 PM
The perch, the BG, the soft light all make for simply sublime for me. TFS

Paul Burdett
01-10-2021, 12:38 AM
My favourite bird when I lived in the UK (as a 16 year old...well before I took up photography). Love it! However, I can see a version (as Brian points out) with a bit more punch. If it were mine I'd print it!

Dorian Anderson
01-10-2021, 01:28 AM
Looks great, Jonathan. Loads of detail and the perch is very interesting. My only suggesting is a crop with more horizontal character. Why go square-ish when the beautiful perch runs through the entire horizontal axis?

Jonathan Ashton
01-10-2021, 06:02 AM
Thanks for your comments everyone, the Robin does look a little subdued in terms of colour, there are a couple reasons for this: The robins (4 of them) vary quite considerably in their colouration, I will try to get two in the same frame. Having noted their colour variance, the light/time of day of course plays a big part in what we perceive as their expected colour. I have other similar images where the colour is rather different.
Steve, the Robin is on the end of my infinity reflection pool, (i.e. not the main pond) the background is frost lawn. I have moved it a little more distant now in order to hopefully get Jay, Magpie, Woodpecker and squirrels.

Andreas Liedmann
01-10-2021, 06:21 AM
Hi Jon .... i love it !!!
Nice techs and the processing does look good to me . Wish i would have these options in my backyard .... albeit having a very strict lockdown in your country , you seem to have some nice opportunities .
Have fun with your feathered guests

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
01-10-2021, 06:29 AM
Steve, the Robin is on the end of my infinity reflection pool,

I just wonder if we get a real hard frost soaking that vegetation might add more haw frost, add some red berries for a splash of colour... :w3

Jonathan Ashton
01-10-2021, 07:36 AM
I just wonder if we get a real hard frost soaking that vegetation might add more haw frost, add some red berries for a splash of colour... :w3

Good idea, berries all gone but maybe some vegetation with frost would work well.

Mike Poole
01-10-2021, 04:33 PM
Love the setting and the framing Jon, but I too feel there should be a little more 'punch' in the shot. It does look a little unnaturally flat me

Mike

John Mack
01-10-2021, 07:11 PM
Your robins are so much cooler looking than ours. Everything looks great. Nice pose and framing. Eye level.