PDA

View Full Version : No Love

Brian Sump
01-05-2021, 12:20 AM

While in DIF mode, figured might as well include one of the lesser appreciated variety.

Played with crops including further right in frame and it looked wonky to me. Open to opinions....

Canon R5
600mm
Handheld
ISO 1600
1/5000
f5.6

LR and PS, DN. Sliver canvas added. Removed a catchlight and couple specs and a tiny shadow from the first anterior primary.

Sidharth Kodikal
01-05-2021, 01:12 AM
Simply amazing, Brian!
Iridescence on full display here; love that the speculum is lit up, as is the head. Had never noticed their tail feathers with that nice shade of green.
Great details end-to-end.
Don't recall seeing a finer mallard in flight image.

David Roach
01-05-2021, 09:59 AM
Spot on view of this common beauty and as always love that BG. TFS

Bill Dix
01-05-2021, 10:14 AM
Perfect wings-up and flight angle, great colors, details. These are lovely ducks; I think they are only underappreciated because they are so ubiquitous. Checks all the boxes for me.

Jonathan Ashton
01-05-2021, 11:07 AM
Fine shot indeed Brian well done! I am looking at the neck and the tail, they look very dense/featureless to me as do the black areas, mid and light tones look good.

annmpacheco
01-05-2021, 11:39 AM
Crisp, clean, lovely colors throughout, aces!!! I like the crop, wonderful textures throughout.

William Dickson
01-05-2021, 01:42 PM
Fab colours throughout....esp on the duck, giving a crisp look to the feathers. I like it.....Lovely flight pose, and HA. I would be totally happy with this one Brian.....Good work

Will

Volkan Akgul
01-05-2021, 02:05 PM
Hi Brain,

Best in a row :)
I applaud

John Mack
01-05-2021, 03:25 PM
You caught the sheen on the head perfectly. Killer background. The pose is very nice as well.

Justin Bond
01-05-2021, 07:01 PM
Wonderful picture. We have a lot of Mallards here in Utah on our ranch. I love to see them. I only hope one day I can capture an image like that.

Brian Sump
01-06-2021, 12:15 AM
Simply amazing, Brian!
Iridescence on full display here; love that the speculum is lit up, as is the head. Had never noticed their tail feathers with that nice shade of green.
Great details end-to-end.
Don't recall seeing a finer mallard in flight image.

Sidharth, your feedback is very valuable. I'm humbled that you hold the frame in such high regard, thank you!

Spot on view of this common beauty and as always love that BG. TFS

David, always nice to hear from you!

Perfect wings-up and flight angle, great colors, details. These are lovely ducks; I think they are only underappreciated because they are so ubiquitous. Checks all the boxes for me.

Bill, your words are appreciated and I totally agree. They are very common but when the light hits them right.... man

Fine shot indeed Brian well done! I am looking at the neck and the tail, they look very dense/featureless to me as do the black areas, mid and light tones look good.

Jon, thank you! I can see your point. Honestly, starting in Neutral vs the old days of Adobe Color and working my way up has helped but some parts of images like this are beyond my pay grade as they just have darker areas. I played with brushing contrasty spots but the more saturated areas like the brown in the chest, shadows on the head and rump just didn't have much in them when it comes to my magic wand. Please feel free to share suggestions.

Crisp, clean, lovely colors throughout, aces!!! I like the crop, wonderful textures throughout.

Ann, very glad to hear you like it as presented :-)

Fab colours throughout....esp on the duck, giving a crisp look to the feathers. I like it.....Lovely flight pose, and HA. I would be totally happy with this one Brian.....Good work

Will

Will, I appreciate you my friend. Always nice to hear your feedback!

Hi Brain,

Best in a row :)
I applaud

Volkan, so good to hear from you. Thank you. Are you staying well? Shooting much lately?

You caught the sheen on the head perfectly. Killer background. The pose is very nice as well.

Thanks a million John!

Wonderful picture. We have a lot of Mallards here in Utah on our ranch. I love to see them. I only hope one day I can capture an image like that.

Justin, you have a bright future man. Hang around here and keep pushing yourself and you'll do great :-)

Arthur Morris
01-06-2021, 07:19 AM
Flying Duckman,

Ditto all the positives above. What is DIF???

I find myself wishing that the near wing were more fully raised to better show the underwing detail. But that would further obscure the view of the speculum on the far wing. Speaking of which, it seems that there is something funky going on with the feather arrangement of the speculum, more specifically, at the top of the first blue feather ...

with love, artie

Volkan Akgul
01-06-2021, 07:27 AM
Hi Brian, Even staying to watch :) I have been struggling a lot lately. For living. no jobs or activities. I think it will take me a long time to get myself together. Please don't think, keep up the good pictures. Thank you.

Brian Sump
01-06-2021, 10:25 AM
Flying Duckman,

Ditto all the positives above. What is DIF???

I find myself wishing that the near wing were more fully raised to better show the underwing detail. But that would further obscure the view of the speculum on the far wing. Speaking of which, it seems that there is something funky going on with the feather arrangement of the speculum, more specifically, at the top of the first blue feather ...

with love, artie

Good assessment Artie, thank you. DIF = Ducks In Flight :-)

RE the speculum, yes it appears one of the feathers is spread apart revealing the feather rachis

Brian Sump
01-06-2021, 10:26 AM
Hi Brian, Even staying to watch :) I have been struggling a lot lately. For living. no jobs or activities. I think it will take me a long time to get myself together. Please don't think, keep up the good pictures. Thank you.

Volkan, wow man I am very sorry to hear of your struggles. I pray you find work and find peace in your circumstances!!

Andreas Liedmann
01-06-2021, 01:33 PM
Hi Brian you are really brining even this species to life .... :w3:5

Cool frame and well done in capture ....
Processing could be discussed ....LOL .... you might know my personal reservation , but that is ok I guess !!!

Keep up the fun and good work .

TFS Andreas

Kurt Bowman
01-06-2021, 01:38 PM
Another fine frame Brian! Love the BG and IQ looks great. BTW, I have a loaner R5 being sent as soon as they have one. Still not sure about the Sony. There’s a couple issues I have with it.

Vaughn Larsen
01-06-2021, 05:56 PM
Well a common bird but not an easy bird. Getting a Mallard in flight with good head sheen is tough enough, catching some speculum color as well - great. Bg nice and creamy - nothin but envy from my seat. :S3:

Volkan Akgul
01-07-2021, 08:34 AM
Thanks Brian.

no business problem man health problem. This was the result of someone driving a stupid Harley bike in my SS 1000 RR chasing me and dragging us into an accident :) But I'm getting better. I am grateful for your prayer. Stay with love.

Brian Sump
01-07-2021, 12:12 PM
Andreas, Vaughn and Kurt - appreciate each of you and your valuable comments!!!

Volkan, holy crap man, that's crazy! We all wish you quick healing and back to normal very soon. Be careful on two wheels man!