PDA

View Full Version : Bathing Beauty at sunset...

David Roach
01-02-2021, 08:05 AM
EOS R6 RF 100-500 @270 f7.1 1/2000 ISO 1600 HH, Manual EXP, cropped for composition

On my last two bike rides of the year spotted this guy hanging with a large group of local Muscovy ducks. So I went for first bike and bird trip of the year. Near the end, as sun was setting, checked on this guy and he was still there surrounded by Muscovy ducks ( who are totally domesticated and allow you to get close). Problem was too many ducks as the wild Mallard was bathing. Inched close on the steep bank and tore off some grass and threw it to my side. The domesticated hoard came to see if I was feeding them and allowed isolated images of this bathing beauty.

Sidharth Kodikal
01-02-2021, 04:16 PM
Lovely exposure with great details throughout, David. They do look great when the light is right.
A lower shooting angle might've looked nice, but I'm digging those orange legs from this vantage point.

gail bisson
01-02-2021, 07:54 PM
It is hard to get a nice image of this common duck. But you managed it.
I like the spread wing showing the blue wing bar and I too, like the orange feet.
Nice curly-cue tail and iridescence on the rump too.
Gail

Dorian Anderson
01-02-2021, 10:30 PM
This is a Mallard but it certainly as some domestic genes in it as evidenced by the green upper tail and messy breast. Regardless, it's a nice view of the speculum and submerged feet. Exposure and details look good.

David Roach
01-02-2021, 10:44 PM
This is a Mallard but it certainly as some domestic genes in it as evidenced by the green upper tail and messy breast. Regardless, it's a nice view of the speculum and submerged feet. Exposure and details look good.

Yes, I believe Mallards have even more hybrids than noted in latest Sibleys so you never know what you'll get. Thanks to all for very valued inputs and help.